Sinister: it's been a bloody stupid day

juju fox stringbeanjean1 at xxx.com
Wed Jul 17 11:36:53 BST 2002

halo again sinister.

i know i've only just written, but i will confess to
you that i have nowhere else to go. i don't want to
tell anyone else my secrets now. so... tag! you're it.

i spent the day trembling and thinking and singing and
dancing and bippity-bopping. i listened to fyhcywlap
all day (just got it back from someone who borrowed
it, thought he lost it, then miraculously found it
after spilling his glass of water over his bass amp
onto the garbage on the floor, where after cleaning up
the mess, was lying my tiny little promo copy. *phew*
i can't wait to see múm next month, btw..). so besides
falling in love with a record i didn't care as much
about before, my day was made up of a collage of joy
and pain. a roller coaster ride...

it all started after my shower. you must first
understand how much i adore bathing. since i've been
out of a dayjob, i've been known to predictably
perform the ritual task midday. while friends are busy
worker bees, i am a lazy sleepy juju in the bath. and
on some days, like today for instance (*pretending
it's still yesterday*), i don't want to get dressed
afterwards. putting any fabric other than a terry
towel against my skin abosolutely does not appeal to
me. i want to stay in only my skin. (and maybe today
especially, i just wanted to run around in my birthday
suit.) so i stood, towel-wrapped, in front of the
mirror looking for signs of age. i mean ones that i
hadn't already noticed in the years prior. i
documented the moment with photographs. there is a
project at k10k.com calling for self-portraits taken
in reflective objects, and i was thinking i would
possibly contribute to it. i was thinking how
interesting it was to me how social behaviour has
changed with the modern age. how shy hermits like me
stay connected to the outside world in the comforts of
our own little bubbles. how we take self-portraits in
mirrors because there is noone else around. how we sit
up till the wee hours posting almost anonymously to a
family of hundreds just to feel we're communicating,
leaving our mark. how maybe one day we'll be driving
electric cars built for one to get from our place
under the rock to the disco downtown to pretend we're
social animals... erm... or maybe i'm just crazy
lonely, and my view of the future is distorted
something fierce.

i digress. back to my day:

i spent a few hours at my internship, trying to pull
with a local booking guy. not for me, but for my
band... i think it's starting to work. then after a
failed attempt at bulldozing thru the mad crowds down
at the dmv to renew my license, my sister called with
news of finding my renewal notice in an ancient stack
of mail. feeling relieved, i sat down to finally open
emails from the boy. he was confused, and not
understanding anything i was trying to tell him. (why
can't i talk to him the way i can talk to you?)  sobs
and emails later, my housemate came home, and we left
to meet some bands that came to town to play a show
just for my birthday (oh, just let me think it). such
nice people, and tho we hadn't gotten the remixes done
for hsh like we plan to, they still gave us free tees
and buttons and stuff. the tee is a fantastic gift. it
has words on the back (designed by the guy who did
'amnesiac', keen!) that read:

have you ever
fell in love
with a machine
     no

just like that. swoon...

i also got a tee from a girlie friend who recently
visited family and friends in nyc. i guess she went
shopping, but i had no idea she would bring me back
such a perfect treat. a little black tee with ruched
sleeves and a kitty head on the front with wings and
an orange bow that's saying "black chandelier". well,
he's not really saying it, but there's a picture of
one in the word cloud. maybe he is saying that i
should darken the light and get some sleep. all i know
is it's the best shirt in the world ever, and i won't
mind so much putting it on after my bathe tomorrow.

after the show, i was treated to fried zucchini at a
local diner, and couldn't wait to come home to end the
day. but here i am, still fighting it. my legs hurt so
bad, i can't even stand to sit. if that makes sense. i
think my nerves have had it. i think i need another
bathe.

oh. and i saw eric b. at the show. he doesn't post
much, but now that i know he's in town on holiday from
school, you may hear his name mentioned at least from
me a bit more in the near future. ...i wish we could
have a picnic in northern california... oh. that
reminds me. i can't make it to the l.a. extravaganza
afterall. cripes! foiled again. fate has it in for me.
btu you see, i will be just getting back from a mini
tour down the coast and back again, no big deal, but i
won't be able to go back down for a little while. so
now i ask a favor to all the so cal area sinisters:

if you perchance to be in the san luis obispo area on
saturday, july 20, please have a picnic and frolic and
skip lots, and then have some tea with me at the two
dogs cafe. my band will be playing there that night,
and it's a free show... and besides, what else would
you do?

if you perchance to be in the san diego area on
sunday, july 21, please have a picnic and raindance
and pretend body surf in the park and maybe go to the
zoo to see a giraffe, and then come to the casbah to
see aereogramme. but come early enough to see the
opening acts, cos i'll be in one of them, too, and it
would be nice to meet any sinister folk who enjoy
living in such a fine north of the border town.

if you perchance to be in the greater los angeles area
on monday, july 22, please have a fun day at work
(maybe pretend it's friday all over again), call up
some sinister friends for dinner, and then head over
to spaceland for the free festivities there. once
again, i'll be hoping to meet some cool cats from this
very community... and did i mention it's free??

i just looked down and realized how perfectly this new
little kitty tee matches my little skirt. and how i
don't want to take my clothes off now... but it was
mere hours ago when i refused to put any on. my, how
fickle i can be.

happy birthday to vilkas! it's your day for a sulk
now. and it's time for me to go to bed.

sweetest dreams of horse thieves,

  juju