Sinister: Insensitivity a speciality. Oh, and another epic.

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Wed Jul 24 23:06:03 BST 2002

there seems to be a lot of glum virtual faces at the
moment in sinister. All with broken hearts and broken
things to mend.

So I thought I'd cheer you up with a joke I can
remember, which seems strangely fitting right now.
What with all the water and depressing references
floating (excsue the pun) around at the moment. This
is for anyone needing a smile.

Q. Why did the dolphin commit suicide?
A. Because it had lost its porpoise in life.

Ahem.

Well, while so many of you have lost your smiles, I
lost my voice.

I'M ON HOLIDAY!
and guess what happened?
as well as my hayfever going mental I got a heavy
cold.
Yesterday I was squeaking.
Today I am coughing.
And I got ill on my holidays.
Ach well, I'll have more holidays.

And probably more colds.

Just ideally, not together.

My parents are about to go on their annual trip to the
North of Norway.
For those of you who don't know, my mum is from the
North of Norway. If you ever get out a map, you'll see
it, its a place called Finmark. You want to find an
island called Loppa. Her village is near there. I
guess the easiest way to get an idea is if youlook at
this map.
http://www.ansi-turistservice.no/kart_ansi.htm

I guess, I take a lot of things for granted. I was e
mailing someone off list the other day, and telling
them all about Norway. About the things you can see.

Reindeer sitting at the side of the road, watching the
cars go past. Sometimes you see a white reindeer, with
pink velvet antlers.
Or all the tunnels, going through the mountains. And
the fiords. And the houses. The houses made of timber,
and painted, usually in contrasting colours, with
thick tar over the roof, rather than tiles (mostly.)
so you might see a red house with white trim around
the windows and roof overhang and the doors.
And how you get some houses, in the south, which are
maybe only one storey. And n the roofs, grows grass
and small bushes or evn trees. And in the summer you
can see goats grazing on the grass, cos hey, you
wouldn't take a lawn mower up there.

Or if you go up high in the mountains, and you get
runners, and cyclists, and hikers, going up mountains
higher than Ben Nevis. Through the snow walls, which
even in summer might be over 7 foot high. And the
glaciers you see, and the hotels. Some of the hotels
remind me of the kind in James Bond Films, in ski
resorts in the Swiss Alps.
And then you get the old fashioned toilets, which I
never liked.
They're in these huts, you see, which are usually
beautifully decorated, with hand painted wooden
carvings and such, and a little net curtain over the
window to hide your modesty.
But these toilets. Basically, its a unit, like a
wooden unit, across one side of the little hut. And it
has a hole in it. And this hole goes into a pit. And
sometimes you get communal toilets (Ally McBeal? pff.
The Vikings were so ahead of their times). with lots
of holes going into pits together.
Anyway, me being me, I resented the fact that really,
there was no flush mechanism. And the fear of falling
through didn't bear thinking about.

And the wildlife.
The Elk, or moose, as people sometimes call them, get
drunk. And go charging into cars. They eat rotten
apples and this ferments in their stomachs. Thus, they
get cider. And they get drunk.

My mum is from a tiny little village in the far north,
where people make their money from fishing mostly. You
have to drive there, even if you flew to the nearest
airport, you'd have to drive for about a day or so.
And take the ferry, becuase its too mountainous to
reach by road, and theres too many glaciers anyway.
Then theres the 15km drive from the harbour to my
grans old house. None of the buildings are old up
there. The Nazis burnt them down, when they fled from
the Russians at the end of the second world war,
leaving thousands of people without a home. My aunt
was born in a shed, and christened immediately, in the
cold winter, beucase they didn't think she would
survive. I think I read somewhere about a hundred
people had to shelter under an upturned fishing boat
that winter. There were no houses. No possessions.
Nothing was left. So all the houses are pretty much of
the same design, and same age.
Sometimes, we'd go to my grans old childhood home.All
thats left is the stones where the building was, and
melted glass. And theres a rusting old German landing
ship there too. I've never been brave enough to look
inside though.

So what is there to do in this tiny village? Theres
one pub that seems to accidentally burn down every
couple of years. No police. One health visitor. A post
office, based in someones cellar, that is open between
10 - 4 week days, and closes at midday on a Saturday.
It takes 5 - 10 days for post to get to this village.
5 days if its national mail, 10 days if its
international. A little church yard, where all my
ancestors are buried, and the graves face out to sea.
In the winter, the clergyman puts a little candlelit
lantern on the graves on Christmas Eve.
well if you've got cable tv, great.
If not?
One channel. Comes into service at 6pm every night.
NRK1.
It shows all those wacky Brit hits, like Allo Allo!
and Waiting For God.
The presenters look stuck in the 1950s.
Saturdays, as I recall, was Lollipop! which was this
show, where people, usually older generations, got
dressed up in teddy boy outfits and came onto the
show, which had the set of this American 50's diner.
And they did their best Norwegian Elvis impressions.
After a while of no decent TV, it became a staple part
of viewing.
We used to go fishing. My uncle would take us out in
my grandfathers rowing boat, and my cousin, who was a
meanie, would dangle flapping fish in my hair.
Or berry picking, in the mountains with my mum. And
get eaten alive by the mygg (mosquitoes) and clegg
(horsefly).
Or swimming.
I remember when I was about 15, me and this girl,
Silje, cycling down to the lake at midnight.
This was midnight sun territory, and in such a tiny
vilage, there was no danger or crime at all. So we
cycled down to the lake, and it was incredible, we sat
on the decking, built by the local council for
sunbathing, and wondered whether to go in.
Just watching the steam rise from the lake, in the
shadow of an enormous mountain, and you can see a
glacier, glistening behind you in sunlight, the
midnight sun that seems to bob on the horizon of the
North. Being there, at midnight, when it is still warm
enough only to need a t shirt and shorts.
And realising that this is all 500 miles north of the
artic circle.
Thats a pretty incredible thing to consider.
Silje was my childhood friend.
Although I say friend very loosely. She was another
kid who went to the same place, at the same time, and
her mother and my aunt were childhood friends.

She was a right old bossy boots. She used to come
over, and I would try and bore her to death so she
wouldn't drag me along on one of her ideas.
Sometimes I'd go and hide in the woods. Or even the
cellar if I was desperate. But she sought me out,
found me, and it never dawned on her I was hiding from
her. Her cousin was Pal in A-Ha, and she would always
go on, and on, and on, and on, and on about him.

When we got to fifteen though, her English had
improved. And we found things in common to discuss,
like boys, and music.
She lked Take That, and Robbie Williams (she'd call
him Wobbie Williams though) and I gave her some poster
of Robbie I got with my summer issue of Just 17. She
repaid me in turn, with a poster of Brett Anderson.
And we bonded.
I didn't try to hide from her, and I was quite sad
when she left tht summer.
It was a pretty good summer for both of us really, as
friends. It never got better than that summer. It only
deteriorated.
But I remember we cycled down to the old primary
school, that had been converted into flats. There was
a seventeen year old boy living there, that she liked.
And I sat under the flag pole in the playground, while
she walked back and forth, showing me how the catwalk
models sauntered, pouting and wiggling. Every so often
she'd smile at me, and her eyes would light up, and
she'd hiss "is he looking?" and that was my cue to
flick my eyes, so carefully, to see if he was
watching.
We stayed there for about an hour, while she
sauntered, back and forth, walking like the
supermodels do on the catwalk, and I kept a look out
for this poor bloke.
We cycled down to the lake one day, me and Silje, and
she was wearing this tiny bikini with a tiny white
bathing robe over the top.
I stuck to my shorts, t shirt and ever faithful Doc
Marten boots and tortoiseshell John Lennon tyle
sunglasses.
She thought this guy would be there, and cycled in
kitten heel mules.
Given that most paths there are stoney, and aren't
paths at all, more tracks, this seemed a little daft
to me. But that was Silje. Going for the glamour puss
knock-em dead approach.

She did it all. The loud laugh, as if someone had said
something fantastically witty. The bright red lipstick
when she was going up into the mountains. The french
hair roll thing to go to the minimarket and buy butter
for her mum. Just in case she saw him.

I remember him still, from the once or twice I spied
him. He had very blonde hair, all spikey. And he was
quite thin and lean, but really tanned.
And Silje, she always reminded me of younger Diana
Rigg.
But this guy never seemed that impressed. Not even
when Silje took to doing Cartwheels. In her bikini.
She was always a bit of a show off.

When she was young, she said she wanted to be
Danish,like her dad.
When she was 19, she met a boy from Mexico or Brazil
or somewhere like that, and learnt Spanish, and went
to Latin nights, to shake her thang. She wanted to
emmigrate with him back to South America.
She was never quite happy with who she was, or being
Norwegian. She was always bossy. And if she fell out
with someone (usually, when we were kids, her cousin
Karen) I wasn't allowed to be friends with Karen
either. But I ignored Silje and saw Karen anyway. And
Silje would want me to report back. And there was
never anything to say to her.
And when we were older, when I went to Norway to go to
uni, Silje said I couldn't be friends with certain
people. And when I told her I wasn't playing childish
games anymore, and I'd choose my own friends on their
own merits despite her history with them, she never
spoke to me again. Those friends are past and gone
now, and those people are left behind in my life. Not
going to tell Silje that though.
When she ignores me, its easier than having to hide.
;)

Love

idles

=====