Sinister: It's A Good Guess - But It's Not Right

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Thu Jul 25 23:11:01 BST 2002

Tonight the pop group BELLE & SEBASTIAN are playing
songs on the radio. They are playing in John Peel's
2nd bathroom. (I've played in one or two of those
meself, albeit not Peel's.)

I heard a bit of a song earlier. It started off a lot
like 'The Boy With The Arab Strap ' - suspiciously
like it. Then it developed a different aspect, more
like 70S WHO.

No, not really. It was like 70S NEIL YOUNG. The
harmonies were utterly Canadian in that limited sense.
I believe that a correspondent on this list will be
able to confirm this.

The song was not that bad, really. Even I was a tad
taken by it, and that's unusual.

Stuart Murdoch said it was called 'Roy Walker'. That's
fair enough, but rather 2nd-hand. A long time ago,
around 1991, I used to watch Roy Walker meself. I
wonder whether he has become less, how you say,
happening, since then. More importantly, I once saw
Roy on the television programme CATCHPHRASE talking to
a lady who guessed that the clue meant 'no sugar in my
tea'. I decided to write a song called that myself.
But somewhere along the line, the title changed. The
question is, to what did it change? If anyone can
remember, perhaps they could let me know.

The COMMONWEALTH GAMES have been opening, in
surprisingly exciting, at times spectacular, and
occasionally glamorous fashion. Barry Davies has done
his homework. If only he'd done mine, I might have
achieved more than a B in GCSE Mathematics, those many
years ago.

The other day I saw someone a bit more interesting
than le Murdoch, namely LLOYD COLE. He was playing on
his own: 20 of his own songs and the usual unnecessary
addition from Leonard Cohen, which Lloyd inevitably
announced as the best of the night. I guess you need a
high estimate of your own work to stand up - or even,
like Lloyd, sit down - and play 20 of your own songs.
Maybe Lloyd likes his songs almost as much as I like
them. At one point he said they were all the same. He
was half-right at worst. Earlier on, he'd said the
event was mistakenly called MUSIC MAKERS 2002, as he
was actually a MUSIC MAKER 1986.

That's my kind of talk.