Sinister: Happiness (not the film by Todd Solondz)

Liz Daplyn lizdaplyn at xxx.com
Fri Jul 26 15:18:40 BST 2002

Cor blimey guv'ner.

RADIO FREE ALBEMUTH

  So I didn't stay in to listen to the 'wireless' last night, but I did
manage to remember to set the timer record function on my stereo (God bless
Mr Technics and all his adorable little children).  Correctly, to boot.
This enabled me, when I returned suitably refreshed after an
evening spent in a dark cellar off Fleet Street, to listen to our favourite
Scottish Luddites perform a selection of their new stuff from the comforts
of Mr John Peel's home (and, indeed, bathroom, in Chris' case).
  And my verdict, pop pickers: better than Storytelling, I say probably not
at all controversially.  Better than Porthcawl, even.  Anyway, I found to my
surprise that I am genuinely E!X!C!I!T!E!D! about this new material and its
patently perceptible joie be vivre and, er, oomph.  Now, this may have been
due to several pints of bitter and the inevitable cloth-earedness (next
sense to drunkenly go after hearing is smell; this has proven useful on
occasion) that is my due in these circumstances, but I don't think so.  It's
all gone a bit Free Design, but I stress, in a _good_ way, for those of who
you who are even now heading for the vomitarium.  Really really good.

SUBTERRANEAN HOMESICK BLUES

  Speaking (as I was) of that dark cellar off Fleet Street: this venue was
host to a veritable smorgasbord of Sinister talent, a real Thornton's
intercontinental selection, including those on their way home (Oon) and
those who thought they were on their way home but well, probably aren't
(Australian David).  Beer was drunk, so were we, crap was talked.  As per
usual, then.  It turns out that despite my own recent move to London, all
the really cool kids are now moving to America.  Dang, last one on the
bandwagon once again.

GODLIKE GENIUS

  Hurrah!  My copy of Camera Obscura's 'Biggest Bluest HiFi' has finally
arrived from Amazon (I know, I know, but I never look a gift certificate in
the mouth) this morning, adding to the joy of summer.  And how.
  Also refusing to leave the CD player: Mr David Moore (Cockernee rhyming
slang: corporate whore) introduced me a while ago to Saint Low, otherwise
known as Mary Lorson (late of Madder Rose or summink like that), and I
picked up their latest on promotional CD the other week.  Highly recommended
for people who are moving into a properly grownup pop music phase.

  Well, after that excess of enthusiasm and actual content, I'd best go lie
down for a bit before attempting to excercise some dodgy karaoke skeelz this
evening.  Crikey.

  Love,
    Liz :x