Sinister: Beirut Picnic?

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Fri Jul 26 23:20:42 BST 2002

hello everyone,

I am the dirty vicar, AND I LIVE TO ROCK. I haven't mailed the list in a
while because I am lazy AND BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN ROCKING TOO HARD.

a while ago it was said to me that I keep posting to Sinister about weird
compilations. Well, I have a new compi to namedrop. it is called "sonic mook
experiment: future rock and roll". It has the rudest record cover of all
time and is full of tracks by bands who ROCK. You know, like The Hives, The
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Buff Medways, and other less well known bands. It's
great. the music on it ROCKS HARD. Which is a good thing. And the record
cover is VERY RUDE. If you want to buy this record go to your local record
shop and say "Can I have that record with the very rude cover, I can't
remember what it's called?" and they will say "Certainly Sir/Madam, delete
as appropriate, it's called 'sonic mook experiment: future rock and roll'. I
take it you'll be wanting a paper bag?"

I love to ROCK.

I often wish Belle & Sebastian would ROCK more. Thankfully I saw them at the
Glastonbury Pop festival where they finished with a cover of Thin Lizzy's
'The Boys In Back In Town'. That was pretty good, but it would have ROCKED
harder if Isobel had been there. No one can shake their rump like Isobel.

At Glastonbury I went to what was kind of a sinister meetup, but in a
confusing manner it was also a Jeepster/Bowlie (the evil non Sinister B&S
internet fandom nexus) & ILx meetup. so I kept meeting people and not
knowing from which universe I was meant to know them. But I did meet
Carsmile Steve, a jolly fellow and no mistake. And, er, other people.

Latterly I went to Witnness, this rubbish Irish music festival. Oh yeah,
there were good bands playing at it and stuff, but it was fundamentally
rubbish. It's not just that Glastonbury and All Tomorrow's Parties have
turned me into a festival snob, it's just that there was a lot missing at
this one, and a lot that it would have been better without. frankly I think
the world would be better off without festivals where drunken scum tip over
inhabited portaloos.

But I did get to see THE WARLORDS OF PEZ. Who ROCK. They are a band of
Warlords from the planet Pez who have travelled to Ireland to make music. If
you do a googlesearch for them you will find their somewhat disappointing
website.

I also saw The Hives, who also ROCK. If you want to read more about how The
Hives ROCK point your interweb browser at Mr Tom Ewing's Freaky Trigger (
http://www.freakytrigger.co.uk ), where I have written an article about them
and some of their friends.

I'd better go now, as this mail is already longer than most people are
willing to read. Hi to Stine for namechecking me. Anyone else want to set up
a namechecking ring?

Oh yeah, are there any Sinster subbers in the Lebanon? because me and Rener
are high rollers we are going there on our holidays in October. Anyone for a
Beirut picnic?

blessed, blessed be,

DV