Sinister: It's been a bloody stupid day

Jay Eckard jayeckard at xxx.com
Sat Jul 27 03:09:52 BST 2002

Oh Sinister.

  It's been an odd day. Usually I spend my time pestering people off-list
(Laura Llew = saint) but today I had a very funny turn.
  Somebody killed themself in the parking lot where I work. And I was the
first person to find them.
  I had to be at work sehr early -- 6 am. As I was brewing coffee and tea, I
heard a big 'boom.' I went outside and saw a little coupe crashed against a
streetlamp. There was blood all inside. Before I went outside, I called the
police to come and help, since I didn't know what else to do.
  When I went to see if the driver was okay, I found a thing like a
football/soccer ball in the parking lot.
  It was the dude's head.
  He had offed it by tying piano wire around his neck and tying the other
end to a streetlamp in the parking lot, then taking off in his car. He
decapitated himself almost instanteously.
  Then I found him.
  I spent a lot of the morning talking to the cops. They were all concerned,
but I was pretty numb. The boss wanted me to go home and relax, but all I
wanted to do was go on like nothing had happened. I was pretty weird all
day, all glassy eyed and all, but I made it through my shift.
  Does that mean I'm sick, working after somebody offs themself? I didn't
know what else to do, and to work seemed the most obvious amd useful thing
to do. I'm really quite poor.
  Officer Chris was the first one on the scene, and I know him and I work
with his brother, and he was okay with me working. Everybody -- customers
and staff -- was disturbingly nice, like I was crazy, but I was still pretty
sane, all things considered.
  I don't know what to think at all. I don't really want to sleep, so I'm
going to a late night show of Gold Member, after midnight.
  Please, somebody, offer some suggestions. I'm REALLY confused.

Laura?!

  Jay

--
"Knowing? That's easy. Everyone does that ad nasueum.
I just sort of hope."