Sinister: Roast Duck & me

oon oooon at xxx.com
Mon Jul 29 20:47:45 BST 2002

hello everyone,

this message is really not of any interest of many of you.
i'm just keeping a brief record of my holiday in the UK
last two weeks. for the benefit of my own falling memory
and for those who might be curious...

Monday 15 - heathrow to brixton.  met Mr Mike. bought phone.
sightseeing brixton backstreets on the way to Mike&Pam's house
on the oh-no-break bus.  arrive at Mike&Pam's lovely house to
find the word 'Welcome' writen in THAI LANGUAGE on the door!!!!
momentary lapse of eyesight due to disbelief!  what a
heartful host you are!
started frantically trying to locate Aree (my Thai friend
who was also visiting london at that time too).
found out, at 14:45 that i was due to meet her in Bayswater
at 15:00.  attempting to dash into town. arrive at 15:45.
found Aree.  tears of joy from finally having loads of
roast duck and the tasties chilies in the world on the plates
in front of me, as planned.  hooray!  met Pam&Mike at
Leichester Square.  well, in other more correct word,
they found me. contemplating the possibility of buying
ticket to the Abbasolutely Fantastic musical.
attempting to go to Bar Rumba, as planned.  failed.
they not open until 22:00.  at that point, i'd rather go
to bed than bar.  so went to have cake instead.  then
went home (Pam&Mike's home where i shall call my home too
for the next two weeks)  stoped at Safeway on the way.
loved supermarket very very much!  brought home a lot
of stuff.  foreign supermarket is really really exciting!

Tuesday 16 - had appointment with Mr Moore of Chelmsford
to go picnic in Cambridge and see Mercury Rev.  however,
due to ongoing breakfast, i was not able to get to
Chelmsford in time to actually do any picnic.
David&Pam fed and took me shopping in lovely shops
in town and great discount shops instead.  even bought
me a cooly jacket with pocket in the back of the neck,
thank you very very much.  i also bought a short furry
jacket, due to irresistable softness.  Bangkok better
be really cold this winter.  otherwise, i might be
forced to do a party in an ice factory.  A HA
that's not a bad idea either.
Mr Moore, the most sophisticated driver in the world,
then drove us to Cambridge.  too bad we didn't have time
to look much. only a short run into one majestic
college/chapel.  very very impressive!  incidentally,
the sandy/earthy tone of those old buildings nicely
matched my outfit.  love old building!
Big Rock Mercury Rev was, to put it lightly, the bomb.
in the sense that they're so bloody noisy.  i stuffed
a lot of tissue in my ears most of the time.  they did
play softer songs that i really liked a lot though.
so all in all it's great, in a deaftening way.
Mr Moore did enjoyed it a lot.  so it's good musical
night outing.  On the way home, we stopped at another
great place..24-hour supermarket.  bought a chinese
takeaway meal.  i'd like to say it's for both of us
but Mr Moore refused to touch it.  so it became
good snack accompanying various B&S tv programmes,
done by Mr Moore.  perfect end to the day.

Wednesday 17 - went back to london. hardly any memory
of what i did in town this day??  probably not much.
met Aree at Four Seasons.  had roast duck. check out
M&S supermarket.  then went home.  for a real treat!
The Pines live!  Mr Joe, who went round to record songs
with Mike, and Pam very very kindly played & sang me
beautiful music.  they shut me up from complaining of
no gig during my trip once and for all.  even now i still
cannot get "I see stars" out of my head.  and i want to
keep it here for as long as i can too.  definitely one
of my favourite songs in the whole world.

Thursday 18 - plan was to go to Madame JoJo for
Paul Anderson.  but Tube Strike!  went into town
anyway.  met Aree.  craved for Japanese food.  went
around peeping into various Japanese restaurants.
found one with loads of Japanese people, so
confidently had dinner there.  liked it a lot.
so good judgement!  walked in circle around
Oxford Circus, for some reason.  did a bit of
shopping.  Aree felt a bit ill, and wanted to go home.
another night out failure! i walked about Soho for
a bit looking at people and surveying the restaurants
and bars.  then went home too.

Friday 19 - met Aree.  went shopping around Bond St.
thank god i woke up relatively early today.  all shops
were open.  a lady sang some operatic songs that
i actually knew and liked a lot.  so happily walking
about her listening.  i wanted a bag.  Aree didn't want
any but ended up getting 2.  me 0.  grrr
today was Susannah's farewell party for her moving to
Barcelona.  so i went along, with Pam&Mike, Tim, Mark,
David&Pam.  happy to learn that Tim like to dance to
popular pop music, especially Britney Spear.  oddly enough,
this place played some good songs, followed by a lot
of shitty ones, then good again.  nice cocktails though.
in summary, good fun!

Saturday 20 - plan was culture with Aree.  with great
sadness, i was late and lost Aree.  then unable
to contact her. i did go to Tate Modern and enjoyed it
a lot.  inbetween guilt-striking gloom.  what kind of
person can lose a friend in foreign country.  sigh.
after the museum, trying some more to find Aree to
beg for forgiveness and failed.  went along to birthday
party of Pam's friend Sarah.  felt too doom to talk
much to anyone (my apologies again for the rudeness)
despite all the lovely people there.

Sunday 21 - going to town with Mike&Pam to meet up
with Starry, Andy, Sez and my old friend Fumie.
had lunch at Wagamama which was nice, despite Fumie
mild protest of how unJapanese they are.  walked
around Covent Garden searching for bag.  still 0.
plan was to go to Lazy Dog in Notting Hill.
but unable to stand the absurdity of queueing system,
so went to eat some dessert&coffee instead.
bought some cheap cd.  bought a bag, at last! from
charity shop of all place!  went to Four Season for
roast duck, but too long queue so takeaway instead.

Monday 22 - went to visit a Thai friend who moved here
long ago. she's got two babies, 2 years boy and 8 months
girl. extremely cute.  loved them so much i didn't want
to leave.  luckily her husband gave me a ride to the airport
so had a bit more time with them.

off to Edinburgh.  Honey and Linda met me at the airport.
i almost got goosebump due to unexpecting to see Honey
out and about.  very very happy to see them again.
Linda fed me great chicken while Honey made me loads
of cd, and i fed the cats some chicken too, to make friend.

Tuesday 23 - Genevieve came!  anyone who hasn't met
her please do so before before she left the country.
what a lovely lovely girl.  she's such a cute and
adorable little dolly.  i wish you can be my niece's
babysitter too.  come visit any time.  we went for
a nice walk in Stockwell (i think).  great breakfast.
lovely cafe, with real fireplace in summer! and
lovely shops. the antique/classic jewelry shop
was particularly amazing.  then Keith joined us too!
very pleased to see him again after so long.  also
very pleased that i did actually understand a lot
of Scottish accent this time. probably because Mr Chris
wasn't there to add insult to injury.  i think we all
had some great entertaining drinks, it's rather
blank what exactly did we were talking about but
highly entertaining all the same.

Wednesday 24 - big breakfast in the Prince's Garden.
(if that's what it's called-the one down the castle)
fed the birds. then feared the birds cos so many of them
suddenly appeared with evil eyes.  absorb the beauty
of hills&gardens&archetechture.  went shopping. got
lost (in time) in Fopp and Avalanches.  Honey bravely
decided to come out to say goodbye and take me to airport.
i can only hope you still feel up and cheery now Princess.

Thursday 25 -  plan was breakfast with a friend.  but
woke up too late so lunch instead.  we went to one of
the places i like most in the world, even if never been
there before.  but i kept pointing it whenever i found
in those photobooks how much i wanted to live in space
like that.  once even asked my home stylist friend to
quote me the cost, strictly for life-goal setting purpose.
only to be shot with 'more than you can ever afford'.
Honey&Linda, whenever you can come down to London, do
visit this hotel.  similar to the Sukhothai in aesthetic,
i think.  very peaceful, but more minimal and chic. it'll
do your heart good.  i won't try to describe this place so
for those who like peace and beautiful place go have
a look yourself...
http://www.the-hempel.co.uk/

another plan today was meeting Sister&Mrs Disco in Reading
at noon.  but again due to ongoing breakfast-->lunch,
we met later in the afternoon.  i really don't know what
to say about Mr Miller.  except very very happy to meet him
at last. just like the emails, i think.  a bit less mad hehe
sweeter definitely.  and very funny.  Mrs Disco was lovely.
you two are so happy together.  too bad they had to catch
the train to catch bus to the faraway land of Ramsbury,
so didn't have much time to chitchat as much as i'd love to.
best of luck to you with the moving and job and everything!

then back to London to roast duck with Aree.  then to
ancient pub in Fleet St. to say goodbye. all the lovely
people there, thank you for coming and letting me see
you, especially for the first time.  lovely to meet
you and i look forward to see you again.

the photo i took over there have finished, some are very
good.  i think i can have someone put them all on a cd.
unlikely to be soon though.  but i'll send it out to those
of you who might like to have a look.  over half of
last film is all my little niece Pair, so i expect
compliment, ok?

well, i never write to the list for so long.  guess i can
write a little bit longer, can't i?

Mr Carsmile Steve and Mr David request more Thai news.
how can i not bring you some.  you know Thai kickboxing,
yes?  we also have another kind of boxing that's as much
fun, if not more.  it's similar to usual boxing except
the two boxers will be blindfolded and tied with little
bells on their ankles.  as they can't see their opponent,
they can only listen to the bells before making the punch.
this kind of boxing is very casual, without formal upper
ground ring.  the audience will gather and hang on to
the ropes making lots of cheering noise.  which
distracts the bell sounds a lot.  so it's not unusual
that the boxers, lost in direction, turn the wrong
way and happily hitting away the audiences instead.
better than football or what.  feel free to play this
in your next picnic.  should be a good laugh.

i'm still on UK time and couldn't sleep at night.
have to try or tomorrow i'll be falling asleep at work.

good night,
oon xx