Sinister: Rectangular pillars that slightly project from a wall

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Tue Jul 30 22:14:15 BST 2002

Hi All,

I've been struggling to decipher the lyrics of the Peel Acres songs & here
is the usual half-assed comedy mis-hearing riddled effort. Massive props to
Em for giving me an enormouse start. Corrections, improvements always
welcome, especially from the authors :)

Belle And Sebastian - Peel Acres, 25.07.02

You Don't Send Me

Since you went away
Everything is looking great
I'm a little bored
When I see you out maybe walking in the street
You always cross the road

Listen honey there is nothing you can say to offend me
Listen honey there is nothing you can say to offend me anymore
You don't send me anymore

Our little scene is getting smaller by the day
It's a human zoo
But the key is change getting over all your problems, you’re not a fool

Listen honey there is nothing you can say to surprise me
Listen honey there is nothing you can say to offend me
Cause you don't send me

Every sound is tame every group would be the same
It would drive you mad

What ever happened to the sounds that left you on the floor
Laughing, crying, jumping and singing

Listen honey there is nothing you can say to astound me
Listen honey there is nothing you can say to offend me anymore
You don't send me anymore
You don't send me anymore
You don't send me anymore

Roy Walker

I wandered all night
I wondered all night about you
I've been here for years just wandering around the neighbourhood

Like a fresh manifestation of an old phenomenon
A breeze whips through the tree
The rustling leaves and branches bend together the cutest way
Forever by the forces of the Lord's choreography

I wandered all night
I wondered all night about you
I've been here for years just wandering around the neighbourhood

Just for a second the combination of sights and surroundings
Sends him hurtling back to the myriads? of? teenager thoughts and fears
He passes big houses and family cars
They saddled the horses in cobblestone yards
Catches the moon looking down from the stars
Like it's done for years and years

Wonder, I wonder
I wondered all night about you
I wonder, I wonder
I wondered all night, all night about you

Perpetual? feeling?
In the grown-up worlds that surround him
That there are secrets that can be revealed with knowledge and philosophy
And oh to be dumb
Oh to be smart
He might be nursing a broken heart
But feeling this way is just playing a part that's been around for centuries

I wandered all night
I wondered all night about you
I've been here for years just wandering around the neighbourhood

I wandered all night
I wondered all night about you

Love On The March

Animals come banging their drums
Street fears in summer
Kids run around
Having their fun
Men are already drunk

Ba ba da-da-da, etc.

A religious holiday’s begun
Maybe its because we have no sun
Marching begins, animals sing
Words that are twisted
Meanings of hate
Look at the face
Bitter and ready to fight
A religious holiday’s begun
Maybe its because we have no sun

Lost in the crowd
Shouting out loud
Drinking my fill of a
Bottle of gin
I’ll do anything
To help me forget about you

Woeful affair
You hopelessly flirt
With that girl who works in the
Pub for a night
When at closing time
You will be at my door
Tell me what it is I have to do
I sacrificed everything for you

I was feeling so good and the sun was shining
All I wanted was to get across the street
I made my biggest mistake when I left her with the hurling? match? and the
broken kettle?
You’re sick, ever since I was a little kid
I always have to bail you out when you take off with your drinking
mates and their idiot games
If you sing those songs you have to slip

They beat me up because I crossed their march
They said I need to learn a bit of respect
But I am on their side & I follow the team
When I get out of here somebody’s gonna get it

Ba ba da-da-da, etc.

Sleep On A Sunbeam

When the half light makes for a clearer view
Sleep a little more if you want to
But restlessness has seized me now its true

I could watch the dreams flicker in your eyes
Lying here asleep on a sunbeam
I wonder if you realize you fascinate me so

Think I’ve found a new destination
If you think you need inspiration
Roll out the map and mark it with a pen

I will follow every direction
Just lace up your shoes, go and fetch ‘em
A sleeping bag, a tent
I know the summer's passing by

All I need is somewhere I feel the grass beneath my feet
A walk on sand, a fire I can warm my hands
My joy will be complete

How about a new destination
Never short of new inspiration
Roll out your map and mark it with a the gin?

We've got plans to conquer the country
I'm waiting for you to get out of your situation with your job and quit your
life/wife?

All I need is somewhere I feel the grass beneath my feet
A walk on sand, a fire I can warm my hands
My joy will be complete

Desperation Made A Fool Of Me

I’m sick
I’ve felt this way for some time now
Fed up with the daily grind
I’m trying to find relief

If you feel this way then clap your hands
Never thought this was a private line?
What is making people mean about? sin?

Now that I have got my motives straight
And I am thinking clearly
I’ll sneak up to your window with my senses open? wide

I’m tired
On my shoulders weighing heavily
With the full responsibility
For your troubles and your charms
You betray the cause?? that run with you

Like the sword in some old tragedy
Either stick it in my back
Or pull out

Now that I have got my motives straight
And I am thinking clearly
I’ll sneak up to your window with my senses open wide

Never really thought it would be like this
I know its kinda? happening
I’m glad that it is
I’m glad

Now that I have got my motives straight
And I am thinking clearly
I’ll sneak up to your window with my senses open wide

I never knew that ?? would be/feel? like this
I know its kinda?? happened
I’m glad that it is
I’m glad

I love (most of) these songs. Its rumoured that Mick wrote You Don't Send
Me - true or not it has a brilliant trumpet part so Mr Cooke still gives
good horn. And Stuart sounds a lot like Donovan.

Great vibes on Roy Walker too: especially since Beans was on or in the bog
whilst playing. Shades of Duane Allman in the Muscle Shoals toilet tearing
out that fantastic long solo on Boz Scaggs' Loan Me A Dime (what's that?
You've brought that up before, David? OK, I'll shut up about it then.) Good
toilet humour between songs from the aptly named Wee Chris btw.

The P F said the harmonies were reminiscent of 70's YOUNG. It didn't strike
me at the time, but I have to admit that when I went back to look for it, it
was there.

I guess Love On The March has made the least impression on me so far - all a
bit too D UHF CD22 for my taste.

Sleep On A Sunbeam is beautiful: Sarah makes it all sound so real &
personal, whether it is from her imagination or not. Like Em, I hope its not
really a wife she wants the geezer to quit! Spoil my nice romantic slushy
image! Pretty lead guitar from Stevie(?) too, *and* he plays most of the way
through the song, just to please the P F.

The intro to Desperation Made A Fool Of Me sounds sadly like Seymour Stein,
except for the piano, but it gets great shortly thereafter. The glorious OTT
piano and the soaring keyboards remind me a lot of something, most probably
mid-60's Dylan but that could also be the reversal in position within the
lyric, all the way from "I'm sick" to "I'm glad". I like this song a lot. A
recording with the vocal mixed higher would be fantastic, please.

Ha ha. I can hear the echo in the almost completely empty room now, but I'll
plod on.

Some thanks are due. To Princess Oon for her lovely post: I feel privileged
to have been involved in a small way in her fortnight in the UK & I am glad
she enjoyed herself & saw so many friends old & new. And ate all of London's
roast duck & chillies. Did anyone notice a recurrent theme of missing
appointments due to breakfast lasting well into lunch time? How does she
stay so slim & small!! Also I get to go to work wearing either one of my two
Thai elephant ties or the amazing silk elephant boxer shorts. The Pissing
Girl keyring has yet to make an appearance there however, & as I am way too
fat for the beautiful boy tee shirt it was donated to Ally.

Talking of whom, in a recent fortnight he and Lucy have been round to stay
(albeit way too briefly), I have watched The Clientele's show with Tim and
ended up playing pool with Alasdair, Marianna & Mark in Mark's basement (on
his beautifully fashioned home-made table! how clever), and then on Sunday
Pam & I went to a barbecue at Tim/Stevie/Sez' with some more lovely people.

I wouldn't have been lucky enough to have done any of that except for
Sinister so the biggest thanks of all are due to Princess Honey.

Long may she reign!

Love,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK