Sinister: Valedictory address

Salako * ann_septimus at xxx.com
Sun Jun 2 09:10:09 BST 2002

My lovely listmates~

I am now 18 and officially DONE with high school for good.  It's an odd
feeling - to be in educational limbo/freefall, as I have been brainwashed by
13 years in a tiny school to feel that my whole schooling process would be
completely out of my hands.  Now I have 3 months to read an entire list of
'required reading' and somehow gear myself for real college.  Gonna die.

For my birthday I got an Underwood!  I real Underwood - 50s vintage, in
perfect working order.  I feel like Kerouac.  Am dying to go do Kerouacian
things in order to have something to write about... although I haven't quite
told my parents about that one yet :P.  I wanted a corset, but that just
didn't materialize... I was quite angry, although I don't understand why
it's such a horrendously strange request.  I have always had a passion for
Merchant-Ivory productions, and I already own a velvet cape, so I figured it
would be a natural progression.  Guess not.  Figgers.

It's funny when you know a song or a CD so well that you can sing every word
and hum every chord progression and instrument part, and then you go back
and read, actually read the lyrics.  The whole meaning (gut-level) can
change when you sing along versus just read the lyrics.  The words are still
the same, but something changes in your grasping of them.  Coming from an
inveterate car singer... I can enjoy the same CD at least 2 different ways,
and gain completely different things from each way.  Or am I just an idiot?

I'm counting down the days until "Storytelling"... and am horribly torn up
as whether to download as much as I can before I buy it (bright and early
June 4) or just wait and hear the whole thing new and sparkly.  Any way, I
am biding my time listening to the Shins' "Oh, Inverted World" - god this
group is yummy.  I just keep surprising myself as to how much I love them.
Boys doing pretty things on acoustic guitars and Casio keyboards... can a
dreamy girl ask for more?

Well, this has been epic, so I'd better shut up.

happy day~

Ann

"There's too much caffeine in your bloodstream... and a lack of real spice
in your life"  The Smiths