Sinister: Down And Out In Glasgow And London

breams jeremy at xxx.uk
Mon Jun 3 04:40:48 BST 2002

Hello again sinister,

It's not normal for me to post twice without vanishing from peoples' inboxes
and memories in the meantime. So I had better make my rule-bending
justified.

Here goes...

I'm leaving the country*.

*For those of you that are in the UK, I'm leaving your country. For those in
Australia, I'm re-entering your country. And for those in the rest of the
world, I'm leaving one and entering another. Simple as that.

Right, the point? I'm sure I had one before...

Oh yeah, as I'm leaving/returning/other soon I think it's time to organise
some leaving/returning/other picnics and happenings to
celebrate/mourn/other.

Glasgow - I'll be up for the last time in a while on the afternoon of the
14th June and returning to London on the 16th June, so the idea that has
been bounced about is to have a picnic/meet-up/piss-up/piss-off starting at
Kelvinbridge underground at 2pm on Saturday 15th June. Anyone that wants to
come along to that is more than welcome, even if you have no clue as to who
I am, or why you should/shouldn't care. Anyone who's not sure about timing,
place, etc and wants to suggest/discuss other details drop me an email off
list and I can tell you where to go.

London - Other than the plethora of regular shindigs that happen in this
most happening of happening cities, there shall be a final for the Sinister
Bowling League 2001/02 season (well I'm calling it the final as it's the
last one I'm attending, and without me and Mr Apps to assist in organising,
where will you be!?) on the 22nd June. At this stage I'm open for times and
the choice of venues is probably between Hollywood Bowl and Queensway. The
final decision will probably depend on the number of people attending and
whether or not anyone wants to ice skate, so get those responses in quick
smart to avoid the disappointment of your preferences being completely
ignored.

Oh yeah, I guess one or two of you might want to know when I'm leaving
(celebratory drinks, wakes, etc). I'm flying out on the 23rd June, around
midday apparently. I'm not sure about the details, I just let my (travel)
agent sort these things out for me.

Well, I guess I should stop this post being entirely self-indulgent wank,
and put something of vague relevance in here too. Hmmm, trying to think of
something applicable. Well, there was a lovely picnic on Primrose Hill on
Saturday. Many people where in attendance, all of whom I should be able to
name but can't. So, as to ensure everyone present and correct is offended
and not just a few willy-nilly-would-be-picknickers, I'll refrain from
attempting to list anyone altogether. Glad we got that sorted out then.

Contrary to the rule applied to alcohol consumption at Sinister picnics
(which is something like "The number of attendees multiplied by 82 equals
the number of units consumed per person in the entirety of the outing")
There was a definite lack of true drunkenness and debauchery (though that
could be read as "Jeremy was sober and single") by the standards set at
previous picnics. A gaping hole in our communal planning was highlighted
when no footballs were found to be in the possession of picnic-goers. A
crisis was averted however when a dispatch was sent to remedy the
shortcomings of the group ("You said you were bringing one!" "No I
didn't...that was last week!" etc etc).

To put a longwinded story out of breath, we offered a match to some chaps
sitting in our vicinity and thus negated the need for a ball of our own
(this didn't stop the ball arriving in our absence of course). We lost (well
I say "we", but as I played for the other team to make up numbers , I
managed to be on the winning side. I must add, the victory was in no way
mine. If anything, I assisted Sinister by playing for the opposition!), but
all seemed to have fun in the sun regardless. 'Twas a bit of a balmy
afternoon in the end though, and before long the collective of sweet indie
boys (sic) were a rabble of sweating and gasping indie boys with nothing to
show for their effort but the bitter taste of defeat and a sparkling clean
football to be kept as a "communal list ball", for next time I assume.

Anyhow, the rest of the day/evening/night was a somewhat standard affair of
pub, noodle house and discussions of the merits of Buffy vs Harry Potter.
Apparently people slept together (or stayed together, one of the two) later
that night, but I was not lucky enough to get lucky.

So...well...umm...yeah...I think that's my cue to wind this up and go home
(literally).

I'll see some of you soon, some of you later and some of you never.

Take care all.

Love

Jeremy

ps. To anyone who considers posting reviews/right-ups/reports of
picnics/shindigs/gigs in the future. Please remember this one as an example
of how not to do it. Instead, read one of ken's, he'll enlighten you if you
ask him nicely.