Sinister: Fcuk* That Shit

Michael Ashbridge MTJ.Ashbridge at xxx.uk
Tue Jun 4 16:58:40 BST 2002

So I was on the phone an hour ago, discussing last night's Palace concert with
a friend (another who was enamoured with Brian Wilson's set -- I really must be
the only one who was utterly embarrassed for him (and 6music, right this minute
are playing the original God Only Knows, and I *like* it, dammit (nested
parentheses rawk))) when I got Katrina's mail.

"Oh God," I say, "Isobel is leaving Belle and Sebastian!"

A heated debate follows, in which my friend casually accepts the news with
comments like "well, yeah, bands evolve, you know, it's good for them," and I
respond with crap like "no, NO, you don't understand, this is AWFUL, it's a
complete DISASTER, you FOOL!"

And after I calmed down I apologised for being such an ass. She's right, of
course. It'll probably be good for them. It's interesting how, after six years
of mature fandom and only slight obsession, I still have absolutely no
perspective on this band. I still furrow my brow when people ask what their
worst song is. "Huh? What do you mean? They did a bad song?" And this is me
talking. You should hear how critical I am of every other band in existance.

Anyway. If they ever do decide to replace Bel, be it known that my falsetto is
pitch-perfect, and I can chat to Bobby about Belfast (like the mess I drove
through this morning to get here, which looks like something from Kabul).

- Michael (Rioting since 1976)

* See how caring I am to all you people with the overbearingly puritan system
administrators? Love me, please.