Sinister: Mr Whiplash

Mark Casarotto boyincorduroy at xxx.com
Fri Jun 7 09:01:42 BST 2002

Morning.

At 7.46am, even Nigeria Vs Sweden is having difficulty
keeping awake, so a quick post might be just the
ticket.

While Matthew Henderson is indeed a cosmopolitan,
kooky-girl-attracting hunk, I was slightly disturbed
by his repeated assertion that everyone (other than
the hard kids, like Laurel, or Amy, say) on the
sinister list is shy and/or twee, and the acceptance,
even vindication therein.

Shyness isn't per se a *bad* thing, but it can make
life very difficult for those afflicted, as well as
for those around them. So I feel a little uncomortable
when people seem to be suggesting celebrating our
shyness, or defining ourselves through it. There are
SO MANY marvellous qualities demonstrated by even the
self-confessededly timid people on sinister and in
#sinister that it seems a shame to focus on an aspect
that's so limiting.

Of course, as some of you may know, shyness is
something I don't demonstrate a lot of in
Sinisterland. Real life, however, is pretty different,
so I'm not being quite as hypocritical as it may at
first seem :-)

Tweeness is a different matter. I see it as a state of
contrivance, and there is seldom anything good about
affecting a pose. Just my tuppence'th.

Anyway, lecture over, and for those of you who think
I'm a self-important prick, you'll be cheered by the
fact that I had a scooter accident yesterday, and
blimey, do I feel sore today! Hurray for helmets,
though, and for jeans and winter coats - if yesterday
had been much warmer, I'd have been in a lot more
discomfort :-) Oil patch, rain, swerving to avoid
speeding vehicle, skid, crash, ouch. In a brief couple
of seconds I've made my bike almost unsellable :/

A bit of a negative post, this one, so sorry about
that. Hopefully there'll be another post along soon
from, say, the delicious amykins, to prick up your
passions...

Ho hum,
Mark xxx