Sinister: Belle's 5th Letter to the Sebastians, 34:44

Michael Ashbridge MTJ.Ashbridge at xxx.uk
Fri Jun 7 16:29:06 BST 2002

So after an impatient visit to Belfast's HMV (many thanks to those who did the
el-cheapo leg-work for me), I got home last night with a copy of TORI SPELLING
in my sweaty palms. I managed to hold off the first play until I'd watched The
Italian Job, and was very impressed with my own self-discipline. Hurrah for
silly car chases.

Quite soundtracky, mm hm. The theme running through the instrumental pieces is
extremely emotive, very catchy. I've been whistling Consuelo Leavng all through
the Eng-Arg match, while the rest of the lab screamed for Eng-er-lund to do
something in the second half other than defend. Madmen, all of them.

And it also happens to be 34:44 long, which, although short, is almost
precisely the amount of time it takes to clear up the kitchen after dinner and
make a cup of tea. Very handy. Music to wash dishes by.

Very prescient of Chu to notice the Mavericks sneaking in with Wandering Alone.
My own observation is that the chords opening Black and White Unite are exactly
the same as the opening bars of that other modern classic, Postman Pat. True
story. Sing along. All it needs is the baseline.

Re Mr Casarotto's last post: it's interesting to me that these forced and
repeated assertions of being "shy" are applied, willingly, with exactly the
same sense of studied self-obsession that the nu-metal kids display when they
make their own labels. Perhaps it's just me misjudging some of the younger
listees, but it seems being "twee" is just another fashion-choice for kids, and
not, as I'd thought, an unconscious reaction to one's environment or peers.

Mind you, I'm speaking as one who threw out a completely threadbare TWEE AS
FUCK t-shirt somewhere back in the early 90s when The Field Mice were engaged
in a pitched battle with Felt for my attention. But there was a point to that,
then. Or so I think.

It continues to be an eye-opener, this sinister experience. Soon, if I read the
portents correctly, I may even be meeting one of your number. I hope I'm
forgiven if I prove to be unbearably shy in person...