Sinister: call me morbid, call me pale

Kristi H kristi_li at xxx.com
Sat Jun 8 03:50:46 BST 2002

This is my first post, so I'm a bit nervous.  I know that introductions on
mailing lists are often boring and self-congratulatory, so I'll try to be
brief and not make too much of an ass of myself.

My name is Kristi and I am originally from Seattle.  Seven years ago, I
moved with my boyfriend to New Jersey so he could begin a graduate program
in English literature and I could look for a job teaching biology.  I still,
for better or for worse, live in New Jersey and my boyfriend is now my
husband.  I also did manage to get a job teaching science to 14 year olds.

At the moment, I'm exhausted.  It's the end of the school year which is a
painful time to be a teacher .  There is no air-conditioning in the school
where I work and it gets unbearably hot and humid in my classroom.  And then
there's the kids......as much as I love (some) of my students, I'm ready to
see them leave for the summer; there's nothing closer to hell than a bunch
of 14 year olds packed into a small room with no air-conditioning.

I bought my first Belle and Sebastian CD, 'If You're Feeling Sinister',
about 4 years ago after reading about the band in Magnet (an indie music
magazine).  The first time I played the CD, I fell in love with the lyrics.
Not since I discovered the Smiths in junior high had I been so blown away by
song lyrics.  It's funny because when I was 14, I assumed that by the time I
was an "adult" with a job and a husband, I would no longer have to listen to
dark, ironic songs for comfort and amusement.  The older I get, the more I
NEED to listen to dark, ironic songs.

To quote Morrissey:

"But don't forget the songs that made you cry and the songs that saved your
life.  Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine but they were the
only ones who ever stood by you."

I may indeed be older, but I'm certainly not a clever swine.

Kristi