Sinister: Be careful what you ask for

Madeleine McNeil mmcneil79 at xxx.com
Sat Jun 8 12:47:12 BST 2002

So, as Idleberry said, posting seems to be de rigeur these days. Lurkerdom
is, like, so last month.

I meant to post yesterday, as I have been saving things up to say, but by
the time I returned from the pub I was quite drunk so couldn't type
properly. I didn't want to get drunk, you realise, but it seemed unpatriotic
not to.

Ruth Allen responded to Jason Cochrane's post - both of which are too long
for me to quote them here - but I have to agree with Ruth. I too am baffled
as to what "getting filled" is, and exactly what IS it that women "ask for"?
Sure, some women are horrible, cynical, mean and cold (-assed, in which case
I suggest thermal underwear and 70 denier tights), but then that's just
people in general, no? Some are good, some are not so good. I, like Ruth, am
uncomfortable with the notion that a large quantity of the population are
"asking for it". A loaded term, I fear, when used to describe women. Also, I
have had my heart broken and been fucked over by both men and women, but I'm
sure I've done a wee bit of heartbreaking myself, so don't feel myself in a
position to write off any gender.

My Reporting Back from the Brighton picnic is a little late and a lot
redundant, but it really was wonderful. I felt quite affectionate towards
people even before Stevie cracked open the Tanqueray and Archel is truly the
hostess with the mostess. Liz Daplyn sadly turned down my marriage proposal,
suspecting (quite rightly, as it turns out) that I was only after her cake.
So, thank you to everyone who made it a great day and also thank you for not
laughing at me when I fell over or was covered in yesterday's make up, or
any other moments when I made a complete spanner out of myself.

I bought Storytelling the other day. Hmmmmm. Can't say I'm overly impressed.
Track 10, 'Storytelling', sounds, accounding to The Loved One, like a parody
of B&S, so exaggerated is its whimsical wonderings, and I agree. It's twee,
drippy feyness is everything that I would dislike about the band were I to
dislike them. Stevie says in the sleeve notes that "this is a cracking
record, maybe the best one we've made in a while...." but I shall have to
disagree. But, to paraphrase what Stevie goes on to say "What do I know?"
I'm disappointed with it, that's all. But it's OK, as I still have my Kate
Bush cds and my girl gang to do the mad dancing with. Music hasn't failed me
yet.

Returning to the Glitter Mountain,

Madeleine xxxx