Sinister: Mr Whiplash

Sunny set sunnie_set at xxx.com
Sat Jun 8 14:22:18 BST 2002

I often wonder what my life would be like if I wasn't a very shy girl. I
wonder what would happen if I didn't retreat into my shell, in the company
of other people, but actually told them some of the thoughts that were in my
head. I wonder what it would like to be able to tell stories in public
without blushing, or getting my words back to front, or without having drunk
vast quantities of alcohol. I suspect it would be quite nice.

The older I get the more I come to terms with being shy. I wouldn't say it
was one of my worst features but as Mark said:
>it can make  life very difficult for those afflicted, as well  as  for
>those around them.

I wouldn't like people to like me just because I'm shy, but I am happy when
they have taken the time and the trouble to see through this mask and know
what lies underneath.

It takes time to get to know people. Most people I know are naturally
defensive. They all show it in different ways. Some people might talk loudly
and constantly when other pressure, others may become rude and obnoxious,
and others like myself might try to hide away from the problem and retreat
further within themselves.
None these things really define the person. Different people just  act
differently under stressful situations.

It is easy to understand people who behave in a similar manner to yourself,
but limiting the people you get to know, just because of the way they act
when they are nervous, seems a shame. Tolerance is what is needed.

Try not to judge people too harshly simply because they don't get things
right the first time you meet them. We are all human and we all make
mistakes

Take Care,
Rachel