Sinister: One red M&M in the bowl and the whole bloody thing is off!

Laura Llew lleweth at xxx.com
Sun Jun 9 03:58:22 BST 2002

Boy I Met At A B&S Show: I posted to Sinister once. It was to arrange a
cover band and we were going to then perform at an occasional party or
something.
Me: Ah, I don't remember that particular thread.
BIMAAB&SS: At the time, you said we could play in your bedroom.
Me: Oh.

Join one mailing list and find half a world cordially invited to your
boudoir. Sacre Bleu!

After it was all over and done with, I ended up going to three of the shows
and meeting several fellow Sinisterines. There was:

Nicola & Karo: I actually didn't realize I had met them until
after-the-fact. I'm looking at pictures of the Boston picnic and see the
attractive foreign couple which had stood behind me in line at the NYC show.
I ask someone who they are and realize it was only two people who I see
on-line all the time. Hello! I was the girl reading the book right in front
of you in line. You asked me if the three different lines meant anything, I
was tempted to lie and come up with a completely outrageous falsehood but
then realized that would require talking so I simply shook my head no.

Brian Krakow: Actually, he refuses to admit he owns this name anymore but
who can blame him after that disastrous choice in parts of raping the pink
ranger in Felicity during its first season. Anyway, this was the random boy
I stood beside at the nyc show. He's was on the list four months and I
remembered his posts. I've been on the list three years and he has no idea
who I am.
I SEE HOW MUCH YOU LOVE ME, SINISTER!
Y'all should be proud of me though as I behaved rather nicely. I only
flinched a little bit when he said he liked Hemingway. I didn't convulsively
twitch while frothing at the mouth quoting Nabokov ("I read him for the
first time in the early forties, something about bells, balls, and bulls,
and loathed it.") or ANYTHING! Go me.

Kirk: I actually met him on purpose - daring of me, I know. He was very kind
to supply me with my ticket to the DC show. I was delighted to find out that
he talks with his hands - not just little movements mind you but entire
dramatizations. He doesn't just say, "My ancestors are from Sweden" - he
does the motions of them crossing them ocean (he paddles), looking for a
home in the new land (he puts his hand above this eyes and scouts about).
Fantastic! When Belle and Sebastian play a show in my bedroom, I want him to
be the opener.

I almost declared my undying love to him when in the middle of the DC show
Bobo the brainless wonder in front of us started jumping around wildly to
impress his girlfriend or something (who knows the intricate mating ritual
of the monkey boy?) and Kirk put his foot up so that Bobo's head would smack
against when he came back down. Of course, Kirkus pulled his foot back
before contact actually happened or otherwise I would have  propose on the
spot and that was already done at the Chicago show. (And we know how I like
to be original.) I realized halfway through the show that I had somehow
ended up between he and his girlfriend - eeep! I mean if I had known I was
keeping a couple apart I would have.. laid out vertically and invited an
army and national guard to help me in my endeavor.

Laurel: Oh my favorite! If you haven't met Miss Laurel of the lovely hamlet
of Jersey City, then you haven't lived. She is witty, clever, loves children
books, and is all things wonderful. She stormed the booksellers convention
with me in nyc.

I've always hoped the world doesn't ever count on me to create peace or
solve hunger problems if I ever come across a lamp on which to make three
wishes. Though I suppose I shall feel mild regret as I sit with perfect skin
and health until I am distracted my very own chocolate covered boy.
Likewise, I also hoped that Laurel didn't count on me to stay with her if I
had happen to lay eyes on Daniel Handler while at the show for I shall have
latched myself to his leg quicker than you can yell, "Count Olaf!". However,
it seemed that someone kidnapped Snicket before we could so I had to console
myself with stalking Brett Helquist instead. She was quite kind to indulge
me in my ways.

And then there was Jayward who I already knew but he was copilot on my
*first* sinister roadtrip. He's great fun probably one of the most
considerate people I've ever met. But - woo boy - I wouldn't get between him
and any tacky porcelain creatures in truck stops. He goes MAD CRAZY.

There were others that I missed out on meeting (including Mister Matthew
Henderson who gave me a shout out on the microphone at the Atlanta show -
woo! and the lovely friend Sara who pines over Trembling Blue Stars tunes
just as much as I.)

I really shouldn't have waited so long to post as I have so much more I want
to say. However, when it comes down to all the shows the best part of it
were my friends I finally got to meet so the rest can wait. For now, I shall
leave you with a quick list of things which have been entertaining me
lately:

Laura Llew's Lush List of Lusty Links:
*http://sewkits.co.uk/belle.html They're sewkits which come with full
instructions, needle, threads, cloth, and a cute square keyring to put the
stitching in when you've finished. And they have one for the Tigermilk cover
- woo!
*http://wso.williams.edu/~dgambrel/catgirl/cgscout.gif Campy Casarotto
introduced me to the CatandGirl cartoons. Oh so clever.
*http://www.keenmacpubs.com/home.htm You can either get me this or the globe
that opens to reveal a mini bar that mori luggage makes. I'm not a lush but
how I aspire to be.

Forever yours (or until supplies last),
Laura

ps - welcome to Jay who is from North Carolina too. Whoot!