Sinister: B+S in poster promotion shocker!

Miss Marianna Longmire mary_goodshoes at xxx.com
Mon Jun 10 23:45:26 BST 2002

I'm seeing things you know. B+S posters to be precise. Everywhere. Never in
my life did I expect to see six on my way to work. At which point I express
great joy over this discovery, only to find my colleagues (who generally
walk the same way as I from the tube), have failed to notice any of them.
They then stare at me with blank expressions and query just what it is I'm
talking about. These are the same people who start every conversation with
me by asking if I've been to any Belle and Sebastian shows over the weekend.
Memorised a topic of conversation yet?!
Bah!

Regardless, it's been quite a day for B+S paraphernalia spottage. Walking
home from Bethnal Green, a carefree gent strolled past me sporting the
lovely ladies t-shirt. I wanted to stop and comment on his attire but alas,
by the time I untangled my headphones from my lapels, he was gone. Happily,
I walked a bit further and found some graffiti near London Fields. On a
billboard, there was a line drawing of the cover of FISHYCLAP. Further on,
amongst the "Anna sucks JiZZ" and "Sikhs rock" scratchings, "Le Pastie De La
Bourgeoisie" was scrawled on the walls in the ghetto. Honestly. B+S fans
down Hackney way. I wonder chu could have done that.

Speaking loosely of clotheage, the inimitable Mr G Pallis once asked if it
were acceptable to wear the same outfit twice, even if you were unlikely to
meet those who had seen you wear it before. The obvious answer is no.
Nicole* wouldn't be seen dead wearing yesterday's Vogue must haves, and
neither should you. It helps to create an air of (insert style of choice
here) elegance about you and instantly transforms you into someone cool and
popular. Your wardrobe should be as fresh and fascinating as The Basic Eight
's opening chapter. I of, course can only aspire to such things as a) I am
poor and b) I have a nasty tendency of falling in love with some random
dress or jacket or red Mary Jane shoe and tend to wear these far too often
out of infatuation before tiring and tossing them aside. Damn it! I will
never be hip.

However, an old friend of mine once wisely said that if you wear the same
outfit often enough, people are more likely to remember who you are, and
they're even more likely to think you are someone of interest to talk to and
will subsequently buy you beers in exchange for conversation. He was a wise
boy. He also wore the exact same outfit for the entire time I knew him.
Three years. And I doubt he's changed it since. For a time I was convinced
he had rows of identical outfits in his cupboard a la Bruce Wayne. He always
did have a fondness for old school Batman comics.

xx Marianna

* Nicole being, of course, the most fantastic bitch troll from hell in
Popular. You should all aspire to live your lives by the law of Nicole.