Sinister: On summer, truthfulness and the nature of parallel worlds

Dimitra Daisy zoziepop at xxx.com
Mon Jun 17 03:09:45 BST 2002

Dear Sinister.

I don’t know, maybe it’s the heat. Last night something changed – and it
feels like it changed suddenly and abruptly. The days have been hot for
quite a while (the days have been sunny almost forever) but the nights were
cool. Last night came and the temperature didn’t fall, and that fact alone
seems to have brought along a new state of existence. It has to do with the
air being so warm you notice its presence all over you body all the time.
You fall asleep and wake up and walk around surround by warm air.
At first the change is upsetting, you’re robbed of your right to wrap up in
your sheets and sleep safely; and this constant awareness is, if not
anything else, unsettling. It urges people towards their holidays, towards
beaches and islands or, sometimes, foreign lands; and all the other things
we do to celebrate summer or get away from it.
It changes the way people live next to each other too. Everyone keeps their
windows open all the time, and suddenly you have to –and it is considered
normal and okay to – put up with everyone’s gossip, random conversations,
arguments, screaming children, awful music choices and tv noises. This is
constant too. At night you hear snoring and coughing and my neighbours can
probably hear Stuart sing ‘I fought in a war’ right now.

I’d say it was all this that brought the changes, if the changes hadn’t
brought themselves along earlier. I saw them in the ways things happened, in
the faces people made and the words they used. (Most of them didn’t see it
though). And now the feeling that things are changing to become more true to
themselves (to look more like what the way they really are deep down) is
everywhere. People get sadder and happier and crazier at the same time,
because that’s what they really are.

And then the first wave of heat died down, and in the few hours before the
next one comes, the city air smells wonderful and sweet like nothing but
making love in your daydreams. It’s almost rewarding for the fact that I’ll
be in a hyperactive mood (so much it almost hurts) for ages.

But then in less than four weeks I’ll get away from the Greek summer. I’ll
blissfully go and get rained on in London and other places, in another
world. And while I’m there that world will feel almost complete. (Complete,
not perfect).  But then so does this one. In my language, it’s called
gravity: it keeps you in place, prevents you from flying and makes reality
as concrete, tangible and dominant as it is.
And when I add the two worlds I exist in, instead of two halves that make a
whole I get something like six quarters. And it still doesn’t look like it
should.

Ah, well, keep the faith…

Dimitra
xx