Sinister: 'i love you because you gave me sausage and cheese when i was hungry'

rrrrobyn rfadden at xxx.com
Tue Jun 18 23:57:24 BST 2002

people!

that subject line is an actual line from a mountain goats song called
'earth air water trees'. i can barely believe it. i think that even
though it's not b&s it should be a sinister mantra. especially if we
added 'and wine'. aaw. (how can the topic of cheese be so popular? i
guess b/c it's *cheese*. yum.)

a bit sad this morning. but i'm listening to the lucksmiths, which is
making me exponentially happier. watching the italy-korea match was
weird. the cafe was packed full of italians and i was tired. it
reminded me of highschool, and you know how it is when you're
reminded of highschool... a kind of grimey nostalgia, and you'd
rather not feel any nostalgia at all. also, i was kind of cheering
for both teams, myself. wrong of me? i am a fence-sitting canadian of
the highest order. so when korea won i both feigned indignant
disbelief and smiled from ear to ear. life, eh? can't make a decision
to save it.

so i've been wanting to be outdoors lately, like camping in the
wildes of british columbia. but instead i've been sitting in cafes
with smelly old italian men and shouting at a tv screen. summer
solstice is on friday though, so i think i may do something like go
to the beach and watch the sun go down. y'know, to remind me of the
natural connection between cycles and progress, and in there the
straight-up beauty of it all. aah, yeah, that's nature. sigh.

i don't know, i really can't believe i got into watching the world
cup as much as i have. a readily adopted obsession. can't imagine
that i ever once thought that 4am was too early to wake up to watch
the semifinals, let alone the final. pshaw, i didn't even go to sleep
on friday night. one grows so much in two weeks. (aaagh. robyn falls
asleep at her desk.)

also, i told myself not to write to sinister while this tired.
y'know, so tired i don't feel tired anymore but my eyelids won't
budge past halfway open. yar. i'm actually almost as excited about
these two consecutive nights of full-on sleep as i am about the
upcoming matches. excited in an
under-the-covers-drinking-tea-and-falling-asleep-reading kind of way.
yes, so for some reason, i'm going to hit 'send' anyway.

i'm just going to say also that i wanted to address things in other
people's posts b/c i do read them and they make me think, laugh, cry,
etc., but right now i'm not so hot in the 'memory' department. and it
seems so far away from the 'wit and other accessories' department.
i'm just going to buy this 50%-off pair of neon socks and be done
with it. apologies.

lobby please,
robyn

p.s. oh yeah, right, i was going to list some good mountain goats
songs to (gasp) download even if you (shock horror) don't like the
mountain goats (if you give it a chance, i will give, um, elliot
smith a chance (yes, that's how to win friends, robyn...)), but then,
y'know, the brain not working thing... so maybe just check out songs
from 'nothing for juice' and 'nine black poppies' and, i don't know,
the song 'going to georgia' is great too. also, the extra glenns
'martial arts weekend' album. the mountain goats just makes me happy
even though a lot of the songs are about sad things.

=====
I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything. ~Steven Wright
~~~
Robyn Fadden    rfadden at yahoo.com    Vancouver, BC