Sinister: a chara, na caith tabac

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Thu Jun 20 00:09:06 BST 2002

Inspired by a post from the lovely Ms Delish, I must send you a quick note
on The Pinefox's visit to Dublin.

He came to Dublin. we had the biggest EVER Dublin Sinister meetup - FIVE
people in a pub (The Palace, historical haunt of Myles na gCopaleen and that
bloke who used to get bought pints by tourists because he looked like Samuel
Beckett), four of whom were Sinister subbers (Rener, Wookie, Pinefox, me).
Bloody brilliant, eh.

at one point the Langley Schools Music Project was discussed. Like Carsmile
I have been assimilated into liking this lovely record. I was listening to
it the other day at home and there was this bit where this child starts
singing 'The Long And Winding Road' and waves of emotion washed over me and
I started crying. If only my parishioners could have seen. The Pinefox,
meanwhile, likes LSMP because of all the Wings songs on it. And in fairness
to the Pinefox, 'Venus & Mars/Rock Show' & 'Band On The Run' sound really
good sung by hyperactive ten year olds, so I have now revised my theory that
Wings are not a good band.

since The Pinefox skipped the country his visit has been a subject of
discussion on popular mailing list ie-indie. small world, eh.

Ms Delish also said:

> in other news, i may be in London early August, i'm giving plenty of advance
> warning so i expect wonders upon marvels to be planned...

oddly, me and Rener are thinking this too. maybe we could arrange this to
coincide with some kind of Track & Field club night so that we could avail
of Le Dancing while over in the Big Shmoke? I like the idea of having an
even bigger Dublin SiniMeetup in London.

beyond that, I found Idleberry's post rather fetching. It reminded me of how
when I was a teenager I not merely wasn't an indie kid, I wasn't even aware
of indie music as a concept. Well, OK, there was the indie charts on the
Chart Show, but the idea that indie music was something I could aspire to
liking never occurred to me. I think it was only in my second year in
college that I realised that the recently defunct Smiths were in fact the
best band the world would ever see. I often wonder how my life would have
rolled on if I'd somehow missed that.

other people said things I wanted to comment on, but not now.

anyway, that's enough excitement for one day,

bless you all.

DV