Sinister: I slept in so it wasn't the longest day, but it's well into the next one and I haven't gone to bed yet

Gordon mail at xxx.uk
Sat Jun 22 02:50:49 BST 2002

I saw a real live frog just there! Or maybe it was a toad. I crouched down
to get a closer look but the nervous little thing crawled into a gap in the
old stone wall. I was walking up a hill, after midnight, in the drizzle.
After discussing the weather with the only other pedestrian walking up from
the railway station, I took a detour. You know what it's like (? I'll
explain): pleasantries are exchanged then you end up walking side by side up
a lonely road at night with a complete stranger and the prospect of
maintaining a constant flow of small talk for an indefinite period doesn't
appeal so you look for ways to break away politely. So I spotted my chance
at the next available junction and lied, making out the detour was in fact
my route home. Does this make me antisocial? I hope not. I'm sure the nice
chap was relieved as well owing to my subterfuge.
So I'm wet, but it was lovely in the quiet of the night, heavily scented
with dripping vegetation. Anyway, this post is just a quickie 'reporting
back' from the Winchester Club.

I took the train into Glasgow in time to watch half of Spiderman (yeah:
whole superhero- half duration) before heading to Kelvinbridge, and then
onto the Woodside Social Club. It only says 'Woodside' on the canopy over
the door, not 'Social Club' and a sign for the Boys Brigade next to it, but
I ventured in anyway and an elderly gentleman confirmed that I had the right
place and directed me, well, right, through double doors to Carey and her
lollipops. Ally was there too, and Jamie. Jamie and I ventured further
inside, thereto find Michael sitting on a banquette with a bloke (hullo
person!) and someone else, who turned out to be the delightful Genevieve,
all the way from Quebec, which is quite near New York hehe ; ) DJ Lucy was
laying down some fat tunes, and assorted folks twiddled with various knobs
and leads, one of whom was Gavin, I believe, of Camera Obscura and Avalanche
Records fame.

First band up was Troika, who have two guitarists, leading to some inventive
harmonies, and a drummer who didn't drum but sang instead. And a good voice
he had too. All four members of the band played all together for only one of
the numbers, so hopefully there'll be more of the complete outfit another
time. However, the trios, duets and solos which followed were pretty
excellent too, including a self-penned composition by 'the bearded one'. Us
sinistersorta folk are a well behaved bunch at gigs, most of the time (when
not being cautioned by the police of course, or getting comatose drunk) and
so the auditorium, if we can call it that, was pretty much silent as he sang
except, that is, for the telephone ringing behind the bar. This sound effect
stood out so much, in fact, that the poor troubadour was forced to append an
aside roughly going 'Fuck it! This is supposed to be poignant!' before
continuing with some truly beautiful guitar passages and wistful verses.
Then the till clattered open... JINGLE JANGLE!!!!
Och well.

Unfortunately I could only stay for the first piece by the Boy out of The
Arab Strap, as I was rushing for the last train home. Boo! I wanted to stay.
In fact, the dancing will just be stopping now as I'm typing this, far away,
up in the hills where the frogs live.
All in all, a really good evening. If it weren't for the fact that there's
yet another B&S gig next week I'd be lamenting the fact that I have to wait
a whole 3 weeks before another one. That's SATURDAY 13th JULY. The
WINCHESTER CLUB. If you look this up in Google you'll get the site of  'the
original Butterfly Bar in Soi Wat Boon which is just a 10 minute drive from
Central Pattaya' but it's not that. I think it's a reference to the TV
series 'Minder' as Arthur Daley is featured on the flyer.Y'all should come
along.

I'll finish with a gratuitous mention of *Mandingo Cliché* . That's
onehelluva sexy voice. Top of my Isobel replacement list, who, by the way,
was also performing in Glasgow last night (of which this pre-dawn is the
continuation) with Bill Wells. Maybe someone will be nice and post back
about that too.

Gordon