Sinister: Yes, it could have been a brilliant Korea

Simon Fallaha psi_fla at xxx.com
Thu Jun 27 15:38:17 BST 2002

Hello again everyone.

Clever phrase you used Ben, I saw fit to use it as my
title.

Well, everything's pretty quiet on the Psi-front. I'm
still looking for a placement for next year (I have
until October) and whilst doing so, am keeping myself
occupied in many ways. One is of course searching for
a holiday, but there are more.

For all you literature addicts, I've started reading
Cold Comfort Farm. It wasn't long ago that I realised
it was the inspiration to the famous Divine Comedy
song Something For The Weekend (one of my all-time
favourite DC songs). Neil Hannon claimed it was
inspired by Kate Beckinsale's lovely face, and then I
discovered she was the star of the film version of
Cold
Comfort Farm. Thought I'd try the book out first
though, and so far, it's very good (I'm some 70 pages
into it).

Sat through Live And Let Die last night. It was one of
the few Bond films I hadn't seen, and it was good.
Speaking of films, I'm assuming most of you have
already seen Spider-Man (which, if you haven't, I'd
definitely recommend).  However I was recently
reminded of the blantant product placement in the film
(Carlsberg, Macy Gray). Did anyone spot it? Mind you,
at least it wasn't as obvious as in Josie and the
Pussycats. I also saw the Final Fantasy film recently,
which I know a number of people have avoided
cos of the "all animation, no plot" rumours that most
critics have been spreading. Actually, the plot's not
too bad, even if it is overly familiar. What struck me
was how real the characters in the film looked
sometimes.

I remember in my "Stuff" post earlier this month, I
talked about how exciting the World Cup was. Now I'm
beginning to wonder if the critics were right about
regretting the loss of France, Argentina and Portugal
(of course when they wrote those articles I totally
disagreed with them). I mean, I was happy so long as
England, Ireland, South Korea and Japan were still in.
Now they're all gone, what's left? A Brazil team
that's nowhere near as good as their predecessors
versus the "robotic" Germans. Someone wrote yesterday
that it'd have been ridiculous if Korea had made the
final - I don't think so. They were exciting to watch
in nearly all of their games, even if they don't have
players as gifted as the so-called "big" countries.
Yes, they were lucky to get past Spain, but it's
always a welcome sight to see a "small" country reach
the final. Let's just say I really don't think the
final will be that entertaining...

I'm off to listen to the Gemma Hayes album again. All
of you who are off to Glastonbury, enjoy yourselves.

Take care,

Psi