Sinister: Don't tell me to fucking shut up!

Lucy Alder lucyalder at xxx.com
Fri Jun 28 13:44:27 BST 2002

I think the Glasgow branch of Sinister is streaking ahead in the ROCK
stakes.  First, our picnic gets broken up by the Police because a bottle
of beer and two cans of G&T were being consumed in a public place
(horrors!) and then last night, Carey Lander and I nearly got chucked out
of the Belle & Sebastian gig!  How badass are we?  So, you ask, what was
our crime?  Well, actually
 handing out flyers.  Ahem.  A big, burly
security guard took us into the foyer where we had to stand and wait for a
manager type chap.  It was like waiting outside the headmistress’s office
at school, except various band members were standing quite close by, which
made it all the more embarrassing.  The manager bloke turned out to be
quite nice and read our flyer with interest.  I think he understood from
our lo-fi little hand-out (no pictures, only writing, photocopied onto
plain white paper and unevenly cut to A6 on a wonky guillotine) that we
didn’t pose a ginormous threat to the QMU’s, er, domination of Glasgow
nitelife.  So they were temporarily confiscated and we were allowed to
give them out after the gig, outside the doors.  Nice man.

Last time I saw Belle & Sebastian, Mark C and I pissed our pants laughing
every time Isobel opened her mouth.  Last night, there was no such
silliness.  Sarah was FINE and even clanked her cowbell with gusto during
the Wrong Girl.  Cowbell clanking has always struck me as one of the less
interesting things one can do on stage, but she did a marvellous job.  Her
singing was also good and loud, in tune (with the odd crack at the top,
which I put down to nerves) and her enunciation perfect.  I, certainly,
did not miss the musical contribution of the hamster-voiced one, only the
laughs we used to have.  Sigh.

Stevie did an impromptu cover of Wichita Lineman, which was quite good,
but I’d LOVE to hear him have another go after proper rehearsal.  He also
conceded that Wandering Alone sounds like the Mavericks, but didn’t seem
at all concerned about this.  They did all the songs with the best trumpet
parts and Mick shone.  I think he played a cornet at one point too,
although my knowledge of brass instruments ain’t that hot.  Chris has
taken to wearing some flash, trendy specs.  I didn’t catch sight of
Richard all night because my view was blocked by
 no, not Big Stu
 the
speaker stacks.  Struan threatened to take of his shirt at one point, then
affected modesty.  WELL!  Anyone who’s seen him play football knows he’ll
get his kit off at the drop of a hat and would probably run around in
skimpy Speedos given half a chance.  Maybe he was conscious of the awful
effects a combination of his toned torso and strobe lighting effects would
have on Genevieve.  I saw the poor girl after the gig and she was in fits
of hysteria as it was.  Can you imagine the consequences had Actual Nudity
been involved?!  What else can I say?  Struan and Stevie kept telling
people to FUCKING SHUT UP because they were talking all over the quiet
bits and apparently they're going to tell Glastonbury to FUCKING SHUT UP
as well.  Quite right too, I say.  Belfast Bob looked kinda cute as usual
and it was noted that Stevie bore some resemblance to that Richard bloke
who lives in Mell Street.  I think it was the glasses.  They had a new
cellist too, Rosie (?) but she was behind the speakers as well.  And
Monica Queen was a bit squawky this time.

I can’t remember the set list, but David Moore has a copy (surprise
surprise) so I’m sure he’ll post it to you as soon as he gets to a pooter.
 Ailsa nearly had a fight with a girl in the bogs over another set list.
Tsk.  People present were:  Me, Ally C, Carey, Genevieve, Keith, David
Moore, Michael and his two mates who’re always at Pop League, Gordon,
Caity Pig, Sarah, Gav, John Pop League, Ailsa, Sarah Wheeler (I think),
another girl with blonde hair who Ally hugged, so she must be an ancient
sinisterine, Paul
 Oh, and probably plenty more who I’ve forgotten (but it
doesn’t mean I don’t love you any less, right?)  Missing and much missed
were Honey and Linda (!!!) as well as Sweetie and Richard who went to some
gig that DIDN’T MATTER HALF AS MUCH at King Tut’s.

In other list news, Jonathan Skinner said:

“Isobel left *gasp* how unexpected considering the foul form she was on. I
think though this may be a good thing for the band- i don't know why. It
must be highly insulting for them if they do infact read this list to see
how people are weeping and whaling”

Now, I know Isobel’s behind is on the large side, but that doesn’t mean
she deserves to be harpooned.  I mean, Moby Dick she ain’t.

This has taken me loads longer than 15 minutes.  Cliff, can you handle it?

Juicy Lucy x

ps. Did anyone else switch on the radio this morning, hear about John
Entwhistle and think about Peter Miller?

=====
The one, the only Glasgow Indie List!