Sinister: Dream one, you had a whole lot of fun with a comedian

Richard Pattison polishmule at xxx.com
Fri Jun 28 15:46:37 BST 2002

On the train back to Glasgow last night I was sat a few seats away from some
real life comedians. They had a flyer for some comedy club. They laughed
smugly at how often Des McNeil appeared ("he’s such a whore" apparently).
They then started to talk about their sets. One of them was really happy
with his and for the first time in ages he was enjoying doing his routine.
The other one mentioned "cocks and robbers" causing comedian no.1 to burst
out in fits of uncontrollable laughter. I didn’t think it was that funny but
I did think "Hey, why not plagiarise?". After all they get paid to be funny
so they must be, right? They didn’t mention any other jokes apart from some
band called the throbsongs which wasn’t even worth copying.

I then made a note to myself not to mention the fact that the joke wasn’t my
own. The note must have been ignored ‘cos the next day I posted to sinister
telling the whole story. When the comedians got off the train I thought
about following them, listening in and copying their jokes all so I could
appear witty but then I decided not to be a stalker. I then thought about
how "cocks and robbers" would be even funnier if it were "cocks and
rubbers". I made that up myself, honest.

Unfortunately I missed B&S playing that very night. The gig sounded quite
good particularly the playing of scooby driver. Can anyone remember when
they played that rectorial campaign gig at glasgow uni? I think stuart
introduced one of the songs as being off storytelling? I’ve been trying to
remember which one it was. More bad luck meant that the reason I missed B&S
didn’t happen anyway.

Fortunately, I still had a good night and I didn’t get run over once despite
two near misses.

Richard