Sinister: But that nice Mr Robertson can say "Fuck you!" to me anytime

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Fri Jun 28 17:51:51 BST 2002

Hi All,

Did I hear some gorgeous gal ask for a setlist?

QMU, Glasgow 27.06.02

Fuck This Shit
Sleep The Clock Around
Woman’s Realm
Waking Up To Us
Jonathan David
Stars Of Track And Field
Dog On Wheels
Wandering Alone
Don’t Leave The Light On
Seeing Other People

Wichita Lineman

Simple Things
The Boy With The Arab Strap
Slow Graffiti
Lazy Line Painter Jane
The State I Am In
Scooby Driver
The Wrong Girl
I Don’t Love Anyone
Dirty Dream #2
String Bean Jean
Legal Man

Poor Richard John Gillanders disappears to the Czech Republic for a while &
Lucy forgets all about him to the extent of omitting him from her roll-call!
Someone else present who I guess Lucy didn't see was Rachel Sunnyset. And
the appropriately named Num Num from that other lot over there, who aren't
all bad, you know. Nice for me to see Neil, Katrina and Gemma again and to
finally meet Katrina's other half. (And she means it)

This is probably echoing other people's comments, but here goes anyway. I
was concerned to see what a B&S gig without Isobel would be like but as soon
as I had heard Sarah singing the bits on Sleep The Clock Around & Woman's
Realm & Rosie covering the cello parts I knew that all would be fine. In
fact everyone on stage seemed to be very relaxed, having a lot of fun &
conducting a discussion on semantics. I hope it augurs well for knocking the
10's of 1,000's at Glasto dead on Saturday. I am sure they will go down a
storm, even when the audience doubles at about "Jonathan David" when
everyone mooches over from having tasted Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls.

For me the gig was one of the best I have seen them play, ranking with The
Bowlie & the Saturday at The Barras: maybe because of the songs chosen being
pretty much out and out crowd pleasers, maybe er, I don't know why. They
faced a pretty boisterous audience, who even made Struan lose his temper
during the intro to Slow Graffiti.

I wonder who auditions the lady string players? Just Stuart, or a committee
of all the lads? They all seem pretty foxy in any case. The additional
musicians contributed more than I recall them having done before: played
percussion, keyboards & recorder & supplied backing vocals. I think one of
the crew played organ & electric piano on a couple of songs.

Lucy mentioned The State Pookie Was In after the gig: you should have been
standing next to her when Stuart started unbuttoning & she thought he was
going to take his top off! I wish I had a tape of all that nervous
mmmmmmm-ing & giggling :)

Stuart is tough on the rest of the band: as soon as they get set up for
Dirty Dream #2 he slots in I Don't Love Anyone* & they have to run around
all over the stage & change instruments. The setlist indicated that song &
String Bean Jean (Yes!) as "maybes": I wonder what dictates whether they
appear or not? Time, or how the feeling & passion is running at the time?
Whatever, it was the two optional songs that gave me two of my three massive
all over sustained goosebump attacks, with every strand of hair on my body
erect - the third was when opener Eugene Kelly broke into my consciousness
(I had been a bad boy talking at the bar before & then wasn't gripped by his
"smash Starbucks " song) with a beautiful & painful rendition of Jesus
Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam that sparked off a long reflection on
self-esteem, feeling unloved, Kurt & that whole slice of rock history.

(* Too rarely played - only about the second time in the last 3 and a
quarter years (??)  )

Stevie Reverb gets an award for bravery for tackling The Peacock's Big Man's
Wichita Lineman completely unrehearsed**, & then maybe another gong for
shutting up the heckler who had been bellowing for it all through the gig.
**Although apparently this is something any musician should be able to do :)

(Probably even more upsetting for Keith than Peter) What a tribute if B&S
could get a version of My Wife together before Saturday night?

Thanks to Carey for being kind as well as lovely & for putting up with me
again.

Love to all Belle And Sebastian fans,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK