Sinister: my old man's a monkey, he wears a monkey's hat

fiona mbbx9ff2 at xxx.uk
Fri Mar 1 13:10:27 GMT 2002

From:          "Kieran Devaney" <antipopconsortium at xxx.com>
sinistereenies,

DAMMIT, WHERE ARE MY TICKETS????

sorry, needed to get that out of my system.

kieran d told a story about stereolab fans not telling each other
that they could not get into a gig yet because they were too shy. it
reminded me of last saturday night when i was in a taxi queue at
leeds train station, on my own because i had lost my friends in the
club and very cold because it was very cold. unusually for a saturday
night in the centre of leeds there seemed to be no taxis at all and
the queue was unbelievably large. stood behind me was a rather loud
scottish girl and a rather loud yorkshire girl and they were cursing
every time someone got in a taxi one their own without asking the
rest of the queue if anyone was going on the same direction. i soon
got to wondering if they had thought this through, i mean would you
really want to get in a cab at 3am with a stranger just because you
were travelling the same way. i wouldn't, so thankfully when i got to
the front of the queue one of the loud girls shouted down the length
of it to see if anyone was going my way, no-one was and i could ride
home without a comfotable silence.

 that is possibly the dullest thing i have ever posted to this list
and it only takes a glance at the archives to appreciate the standard
i have to uphold. but the moral of the story is it is not just those
who like shy bands that are reluctant to talk to other people, the
same applies to people on their way from dreadful townie clubs, the
only exceptions being those people who are naturally loud.

Mark Meyerson said:
>I am preetttty weeelllll psyched that B&S are coming to the East
>Coast.
>I am even more excited that they are coming to wash DC

and i laughed, picturing isobel with her sleeves rolled up, wearing a
hairnet, armed with a chamois leather and a mop.

[how great is the word 'chamois' and its even more great that i know
how to spell it]

Manchester gig meetup news...
 i have now officially decided to be the pre/post manchester gig
meetup mummy. responses so far have been a little thin on the ground
so if people would like to get their expressions of interest / ideas
for things to do in to me i will start making some plans.

love and monkeys,
fiona.

STEREOLAB FANS

Not long before Christmas, I went to see Stereolab play live at the
Birmingham Academy. I left the house early, because I had to get to the
cashpoint nearby for some tshirt money, the halifax one, the one thats
closed at the moment. I left excited, making sure I had my ticket, some
change for the phone in case I needed to use it (I don't believe in mobiles)
and my coat and everything. It wasn't till I got on the bus (the #97 from
Bordesley Green East, the stop just outside the Richmond Pub), that I
realised I'd forgotten my bus pas. It was too late to go back, if I did that
I might miss something, and the buses are usually slow into town during
winter evenings, so I paid with some of the change I was carrying and
resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be able to buy either a tshirt
or the stereolab exclusive tour single (which isn't that good, but everyone
a sucker for exclusive 7" singles aren't they?), because I keep my halifax
cashcard inside my bus pass. Damn. But still, I wasn't going to let
something like that ruin a good gig, so I sat and waited for the bus to get
into town. The bus was indeed slow and laborious, there was some sort of
delay right on the outskirts of Town, so that by the time we actually got to
the last bus stop, it was gone 7:00, and they would be letting people in
already. I had done a quick scan of the people on the bus, and despite the
presence of several shady looking characters, I deduced that none of my
fellow passengers were destined for the gig that night - far more sinister
pursuits undoubtedly awaited them in town. We all got off, and I started
walking leisurely towards the Academy, it's probably worth pointing out that
I was going to the gig completely on my own - while some of my friends have
quite good musical taste, when it comes to Stereolab they all fall into one
of two categories, either 'heard of but not heard' or 'not heard of', the
philistines. But I actually quite like going to gigs on my own - and for
Stereolab, anything. As I approached the venue, past the halifax I was
supposed to get tshirt money from, past the McDonalds which was still open,
patronised by slack-jawed sportswear sporting types, further down, across
the road etc, I noticed a few people were still queing up outside, I knew it
was past door opening time, so I assumed they were waiting for other people
or something. I wandered past them and up to the fetching brown metal doors
of the academy, which were, oddly, only very slightly open. I glanced back
at the people in the queue, they were looking at me, but nobody said
anything. I poked my head around the door to see two of the orange and black
clad security staff chatting outside the ticket booth,
"Yes?" said the larger of the two, a slightly imposing skinhead type, they
both looked at me.
"Er, Stereolab are on tonight aren't they?" I said, getting my grammar wrong
in the fluster.
"Yeah mate, they're still practising so you'll have to wait," said the
security guard, "shouldn't be long now though." he looked at his watch.
"Ok, thanks" I said bemusedly, and turned back outside. As I walked to the
back of the tiny queue I glanced at the people in it - why hadn't they told
me what was going on? I put my hands in my pockets and waited, it was quite
cold, but not too bad, and I thought that since there were only a few people
already here, I could easily get a good place near the front. That would
make up for not getting a tshirt I thought. As I was thinking this a girl
wandered across the road - from just outside Toys 'R' Us (Can you do
backwards r's on computers? It isn't on my character map), she was attired
in a manner befitting to a Stereolab fan, and indeed seemed to be making for
the gig. My suspicions were confirmed when she walked past me, down the
queue and towards the doors. I wondered if I should say anything, since she
was bound to get the same response as I did, but I held back, partly because
of my own inherent shyness and also because I thought it was a good chance
for the people ahead of me to do the right thing and tell her. But the
didn't. So she went up to the door, poked her head round and undoubtedly had
the same conversation with the skinhead security guard. She glared at us a
minute or so later as she walked back to take her place behind me in the
queue and I looked away. About five minutes later the small queue of us were
let in, and I couldn't help wondering if what had happened was an exclusive
trait of people in shy bands like Stereolab, or if the incident said
something about us on a wider scale. I don't know. The gig was fantastic by
the way, about as good as you imagine Stereolab live being, there was
dancing and merrymaking for all. I used the last of my change to phone home
(from the phonebox outside adam's), and ask for a lift back since I didn't
have enough for the bus. I got home to find that I had missed all but the
last Hefner John Peel Session song, which was mildly annoying. Though I do
think, having since heard the whole session, thanks to the wonder of
techonology that is audiogalaxy.com that the song I did get to hear 'Anne
and Bill' is the best of the bunch. I have an insatiable desire to leave
this feeling unfinished and go an pop some bubble wrap. I just know I left
it lying around here somewhere...

Bye
- Kieran