Sinister: this galloping rhythm... leave me, a dead horse at your door

Youn Noh younnoh at xxx.com
Sat Mar 2 21:57:32 GMT 2002

I don't know if this will be of any interest to you, but
Stuart's first introduction of himself on the previous band web
site has been added to the writing archive on their current
site.  David Moore's name carried all the weight in my request.

Frankly, it's slighter than I remembered it, with Stuart's
contribution just a border to provide context.  (But you're
probably the type who looks at frames and judges their
appropriateness first, for all that it will tell you about your
host.)  Maybe he was deflecting attention from himself, but
without the shyness that I once thought his individuality
represented.  In the days when he stood apart from his fans and
offered a private smile to the camera.  And I see where
scrupulously putting on a lab coat in the dark room and feeling
guilty for not running every day fit into a pattern.  But he's
lighter now.

I thought of the subject line while listening to "The Way Of
The Vaselines" at the gym.  I think it was during 'Oliver
Twisted' or 'The Day I Was A Horse'.  But in the car, I noticed
there is a line about galloping through the dew in 'Rory Rides
Me Raw'.  That (the line or all the jostling up and down
imaginary stairs) and watching "Un Chien Andalou" have put
weird images in my head.  In a heartless moment, I threw away a
tape of their songs that an old friend had made for me.  All
the songs on the tape are on the compilation and it was
recorded over another singer's songs, i.e., over another
release.  He let the tape run so that it recorded noises in the
room.

People who go to clubs and dance all night to their favorite
songs feel good like I do by the 7th song.  But they're so
high, they're such expert dancers, they don't need to care
about the song too much.  When was work free?  When did people
feel this good working?  Today I heard "The old golden savages
killed their philosophers."

That friend sent me a funny note about repression, its positive
aspects.  I think I really understand him now.  It is
impossible to get to the bottom of things.  And to try to do so
would run counter to another principle, which is supposed to be
expressed in "Hamlet".  I can't find the passage, but it's
about how in our actions, we reveal ourselves, so we should
take care.  That's a very poor paraphrase, but it's from
something a professor said that has been rattling around in my
head for three years.  I should have looked it up then.

Have you ever watched a silent film?  I watched my first one
yesterday.  It was Fritz Lang's "Metropolis".  I didn't know
this before, but there are stills with just text; of course,
not enough to match up with what everyone has been saying, but
enough to settle any doubts left by exaggerated gestures.  It's
probably not that way with Chaplin's films or with Buster
Keaton's.  So fine and neat are their movements.  I wonder to
what extent changes in the text would affect our interpretation
of the film.  There must be clear limits (for which I am
grateful).  But then again, you're probably the type to see a
world of difference in the addition of a comma.

There was a scene where the foreman was whistling for the
workers' attention.  The music became nearly silent while they
were ignoring him, then suddenly keyed up when they started to
follow him.  And in the scenes where the inventor Rotwang is
chasing Maria, the music seems joyous instead of foreboding,
maybe for a comedic touch.  It's funny that ultimately Rotwang
suffers, and nobody else.