Sinister: dirty vicar, dirty epic

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Mon Mar 4 21:56:59 GMT 2002

hello everyone, it's me again,

I went to a classical music concert in a cathedral yesterday evening. It was
a bit dull really, but there was a real life vicar there, which was nice. He
had a great "bless you my child" voice but sadly he didn't seem to be
inviting young lady members of the audience back to the vicarage for tea and
crumpet.

Two weeks back I went to Helter Shelter, the exciting relatively new indie
club in Dublin, the city I live in. It was a bag of fun, with many of my
favourite tunes being played. Perhaps a highlight of the evening was when
the distinctive opening sounds of 'Geno' came out over the PA and we got to
elbow the young people off the floor to do our funky old people's dance.
Incidentally, "we" refers to me and my friends, I haven't suddenly decided
I'm a member of the Royal Family or anything.

One bizarre thing about the club was how well turned out all the young
ladies were in comparison  to all the young lads - the latter looking
distinctly lumpish by comparison. That's the kind of thing I like in a club.

I've decided to start sulking about the fact that B&S don't seem to be
playing here in Dublin. However, Acid Mothers Temple are. Acid Mothers
Temple are this weirdo Japanese band who are going to be touring Ireland in
a month or two. They play kosmische freak out music of the kind that the
forward thinking like, and if they play anywhere near you I advise going to
see them.

big shout to mmm skyscraper for namechecking Underworld in his, well, name.
He reminded me how brilliant they are and now I am bopping around the
vicarage to their crazy band techno-esque sounds. this makes typing a little
difficult.

Now some replies to things people said:

on 3/3/02 14:43, Max421 at aol.com at Max421 at aol.com wrote:

> I think I'm in love with Stephen Merrit.

I think I'm in love with Claudia Gonson. And yes, I know she bats for the
other team, but love doesn't take account of these things.

[I am however primarily in love with my special friend, and I'm not just
saying this because she subs to Sinister]

It's funny though, there was a time when the world of B&S fandom was full of
people saying "a lot of people like Magnetic Fields but I think they're
rubbish". I think this was because people were jealous of the fact that the
Magnetic Fields could cut it live without throwing tantrums or taking half
an hour to get ready between songs. But now that B&S are a live touring
monster the Magnetic Fields are less challenging, and therefore it's OK to
like them again.

And I read Baker, Baker's post about that guy and the crematorium that
didn't work. I have a certain sympathy for that guy too. Or empathy perhaps,
as I can imagine being in a situation where you've fucked up really badly
and  there is no way out but to keep fucking up and hoping no one notices
only you know you'll get caught sooner or later. Nyurgh, nasty.

Jenowl's mail about her Catholic school was funny in an I'm glad I'm not
going to that school kind of way. I dunno, I seem to be the only person in
the world who went to a Popish school that wasn't awful.

Youn Noh mentioned The Vaselines, who are always worth mentioning. He also
mentioned silent films in general and Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" in
particular, and how some bits of it are just stills with text. Sadly, I
don't think this was some kind of pioneering technique of Lang's, more a
reflection of there being no complete print of the film, so they have to
show stills with text for some bits or the plot stops making sense.

I've seen enough silent films to like some more than others. FW Murnau's
"Nosferatu" is completely brilliant, and his "Tartüff" (featuring a dirty
vicar) is also enjoyable. "The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari" (by some other
German bloke) is also toptastic, visually one of the most striking films
ever made.

yeah, if you've made it down this far you're ready for some list abuse. I
publish this music zine thing which works by people sending me zines which I
photocopy up and stick together and send out to all the contributors. It's
kind of like a print version of an internet mailing list on digest, only
slower. There's a new collation out now, maybe you would like to see a free
sample copy? Then you could become one of my zinewriting friends, which
would be nice.

I'm not selling this very well.

Two more things before I go:

i) In the trailer for "the Royal Tenenbaums" Gwynneth Paltrow looks a bit
like wor Isobel.

ii) actually, my second thing isn't that interesting.

bless,

DV