Sinister: the edge of the world

sophia katrina sophiakatrina at xxx.com
Sat Mar 9 05:55:36 GMT 2002

oh sinister,

all this talk of concerts and picnics and spring rain on the other side of
the globe has made me melancholy. seeing b&s at the royal albert hall was so
wonderful, and i wish i could repeat the experience... somewhere exciting...
i think i must be suffering the famous geographical envy that you keep
talking about. maybe all the australian listees should stage a rival
meet-up? we could all drive to whichever point is equidistant to perth,
brisbane, sydney and melbourne. we could sit in the desert, drinking beers
out of an esky (aus., n., plastic box with blocks of ice for chilling food),
roasting sausages and tofu burgers over the campfire, drinking beers and
looking at the sky or at the thousands of kilometres of peaceful nothingness
around us. then we could all go our separate ways again.(alternately, i
could do as someone suggested and take advantage of my anonymity and go into
too much intimate detail about my life. but you poor people have suffered
enough on that front already).

you see, sometimes i forget that i live on the edge of the world*. but on
days like this i remember. i think if i could just look over the horizon i
would see walls of sparkling water falling into space. as it is, i can only
see a line of tankers, suspended across the bay like a string of lights.
they could very well be stars.

i've been thinking a lot about australia, and the thing is - i don't trust
it. i have never been patriotic about any nation, though i have heard the
word used well - by patti smith, or by ani difranco when she sings "i am
patriot, i have been fighting the good fight..." when you have triple
citizenship, it's too much of an effort. (on the plus side, i get a lot of
marriage proposals, and quite lucrative ones at that, but i'm holding out.
my sources tell me a US passport will go for ten grand on the black
market...) i wrote my third year thesis on belonging and displacement,
actually, and anyone interested in reading it can e-mail me. it is -
marginally - more edited than my posts.

life here seems somehow precarious.  it feels like that diane arbus
photograph, the one of a movie set on top of a hill. on first glance it
could be a house, but on closer inspection you understand that it is a set,
just a facade, and through the windows you can see dark clouds blowing
across the sky. that's how i feel about this country. living here requires a
daily, no, constant act of forgetting. my suburb is so fashionable that they
film a tv show about the romantic misadventures of attractive
twenty-somethings (it's called 'the secret life of us', and they show it on
channel 4 in the uk). but to believe that st. kilda really is the 'lifestyle
precinct' that tv says it is, to believe in the streets full of shiny bars
and shinier people, you have to forget about the police beating up the
aboriginal people in catani gardens. you have to walk past them, past the
homeless people who hang around outside the 7-11 and play guitar in the
middle of the night, past the women who stand on street corners on carlise
street at nine o'clock on cold saturday morning, waiting for men in cars to
pull up and roll down their windows... and you have to foget them. unless
slumming is the whole point. maybe the shiny people want a kitchen full of
stainless steel scandinavian applicances and a view of junkies from their
living room window.

once a man overdosed in our front garden. he had been eating the roses in
the garden. when we came home, he was lying there, flat on his back, with
petals falling from his mouth.

in australia there is forgetting on a grander scale. forgetting that
refugees are locked up in tin sheds in the desert, seeing tear gas for the
first time in this supposedly civilised nation. forgetting that the
government lied to us during the election and told us that the refugees had
thrown their children overboard.
(http://www.theage.com.au/specials/immigration/index.html)
forgetting that the governor-general let sexual abuse of children go
unpunished when he was an archbishop. forgetting that aboriginal people have
only had the vote for forty years, and that a generation of their children
were stolen from them in a policy of forced assimilation. forgetting about
the white australia policy and one nation and the salt that rises in the
water tables every year because the trees are going and the land is
rebelling. the trees began to go because the first settlers wanted to
recreate english pastures and rolling hills. they wrote their homesickness
across the land, the desert, the forests, deep into the crust of the
earth... and the scars of their longing are still with us.

we have convicts on the australian side of the family (i know, because of
the obvious impossibilities and falsifications in the family tree). the folk
songs that convicts wrote have the most heartbreaking words. "bound for
botany bay" ends with "if i had the wings of a
turtledove, i'd soar on my pinions so high, straight into the arms of my
polly love, and in her sweet presence i'd die." the whole history of this
country is so brutal and so, so sad.

what do you do when you stop forgetting?

sophia

*the western, english-speaking, colonial world of course.