Sinister: Skies

Fernando Brito fbrito at xxx.br
Sun Mar 10 02:03:30 GMT 2002

Queridos sinistros,

It was a pleasant week here in Sampa*, with sunny days, light-blue skies,
that reminded me that Fall is just beyond the corner.

The equinox used to be so important to me. A symbolical importance, cause
I'm no astronomer or anything!
When I was a kid and had plenty of time to do every kind of useless things,
I used to count the difference in minutes between the length of each day,
from the solstice to the equinox. And I loved to spend the clear autumn
nights on the roof, looking for constellations, seeing how the night sky
changed from day to day, or even just stargazing. Did you know that many of
the bright stars that we see are in fact a superposition of tens of little
stars? I used to search for these "fake stars". And it was beautiful to see
the dance of Jupiter's moons! And I always wanted to see the rings of
Saturn, but my binoculars were not that powerful, and my mother couldn't
afford to buy me a telescope...
Now I live in an apartment building, I don't have a roof. And the city
where I live today is not the best to be wandering at night looking at the
sky... in the next morning you might be found lying on the ground with your
mouth full of ants**!
And after all, I'm tired of using my binoculars to watch the nearby windows
looking for naked girls!

So autumn is my favorite season. The sky is so blue and clear, every day it
gets a bit colder... and a recurrent feeling of melancholy, that is not bad
at all, makes me feel so lonely, abandoned, like I am the last living
person on Earth and the crowd around me is nothing but souls of bygone
persons. It's like the first part of that movie with Charlton Heston, I
can't remember the name now, also like that scene of Vanilla Sky in which
NY is completely empty of people...

Speaking of Vannila Sky, I went to see it on wednesday. It started around
21:20 and ended at 23:30. The cinema was in a shopping centre, which closes
at 22:00. After the movie was over I left the projection room and... it was
so weird... the whole mall was empty, there was no one else there! It was
kind of like the movie! And what's more strange, I felt so well that way,
walking through the deserted hallways, very slowly, watching the vitrines
and the shops. I don't know what that feeling was, I think I felt powerful,
like everything in that mall was mine, or at least, at that moment, I was
able to do whatever I wanted with all those things around me. I don't know,
I just felt wonderful all by myself in that very large place that usually
is full of people. It was like being in a church... but I'm not quite sure
cause it's been a few years since I last entered a church.
Actually this whole event took place in only a few seconds, perhaps one or
two minutes, but what was really impressing was that feeling, when you
leave a dark room, where you know that everything is fake, and you're
expecting to come back to the real world - in your head you're gonna push
that door and there will be people walking around you, talking, shouting,
doing something, anything - but then, there you are, in another fake world,
there's no one else there, only you, all the people from the cinema were
left behind, they took the elevators.

And there I was... all alone. Feeling powerful...
Until the security guy came and asked me if I was lost!
Well, at that moment, with all that bewilderment in my head, all I could do
was smile and say "Yes". So he showed me the elevators and that's where I
left my daydream behind!

But on to happier topics...

I finished my sinister marathon last weekend! There were about 80 posts to
be read, but it was worth the effort!

Mark wrote that he has read in John Peel's website that staying up all
night can double your summer vacation... Someone should ask Mr. Peel if
"getting laid" all night also can double my summer vacation, cos that would
be much more fun!
Now, guys, does it make any sense or my english really sucks?!

And I'm so happy, 'cause I read an article by a famous brazilian indie
columnist saying that Charlatans are coming to Brazil next month!
Wooo-hooo!!! And Stephen Malkmus is also confirmed! Now I wonder if he's
gonna sing Pavement's songs! And I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary
guy! Oh no, that's Geddy Lee!
Does anybody here like Rush? Is it a sin to like Rush in this list?!
If so I have no doubt about what I am to do, I will throw away all my Rush
albums and stick with you guys!
Because I LOOOOVE Belle and Sebastian, and... what's Rush?!

So... I think that's all! What was my point? I've just told you!

See you later!

Fernando Brito

* - Sao Paulo, the city.
** - Dead.