Sinister: Bis cover Joy Division!

Liz Daplyn lizdaplyn at xxx.com
Sun Mar 10 20:50:38 GMT 2002

  No, really, it’s as true as I can make it.  It’s a fantastically bleepy
vocoder’d version of ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’.  Slightly sacreligious, one
might feel if one could be drawn to make judgements like that, but what are
icons for if not, well, ‘clasting’?  Watch a space of your choice.

  Of course, I’ve already made my pronouncement on it by not immediately
spitting in its general direction.  The malaise of not being able to stand
up for or follow ideas through properly is an infuriating one prevalent in
these alienated times.  If something is worth thinking about in the first
place, it’s worth developing thoroughly and bringing to a positive (or
negative, ho ho) conclusion, and it’s maddening to come across people (and,
of course, one’s self, annoyingly) being smugly non-committal with their
vaguely postmodern laziness.  Sitting on damp cold fences gives you piles,
kids.

  My personal comfort blanket at the moment is ‘Stood On Gold’ by Gorky’s
Zygotic Mynci.  Just to see its small yet perfectly formed vinyl loveliness
begin to spin round (even before the music starts, just listening to the
slight hiss through tasty Technics speakers) makes my bone marrow melt and
my knotted intestines unravel with joy.  And when it’s finished (and 7”s
finish so sweetly) the fragile arm of the cheap record player shifts from
its active hovering position to glide silently back to the resting place
where it comes to an halt with a tiny but definite click of satisfaction.

  Likewise the happiness of hearing Camera Obscura playing on the radio the
other night.  They r!o!c!k!e!d!, in particular showcasing the ivory-tickling
talents of the (most likely glamorously fishnetted) Miss Carey Lander of
this parish.  I was a tad merry, having shared a bottle of Pinot Grigio with
my mother over a most exciting green curry, and as the room revolved slowly
about the central point of my futon in time to the gorgeous sounds from the
stereo, all was well.

  Having spent far too much time _this_ weekend putting up my Mum's
floor-length brown velvet curtains (very decadent and yet rather boring), I
hope to be in London _next_ weekend to look at a house, go to the pub, and
partake of at least a smidgen of the visit of the fragrant Ms Fruitloop.
Oh, and maybe look at some art.  So if I see any of you there, don’t be
offended if I seem absentminded.  I shall probably be drunk.

  Which reminds me: I really should refrain from boozing quite so much at
gigs.  It’s all very well, but my quality control goes right out the window,
so the old critical faculties aren’t really up to appreciating the music.
Or maybe I’ve only seen fantastic bands lately.  Brixton in only a couple of
weeks!

  If people are interested, there are some photographs of last month's
Brighton extravaganza at
  http://photos.yahoo.com/wintryme
along with some other stuff from the latest batch of pictures I got returned
with the aforementioned through the post.  I love mail order photo
development.  Whoever it was that said they’ve become addicted to buying
things on the internet, I’m with you there.  Getting parcels in the post is
so exciting because you never know precisely when they’re going to come, or
whether the item purchased is going to live up to or even exceed
expectations.  It’s the pleasurable uncertainty that one craves.  Like being
in love, no?  Mmmm.

  Liz :x

---
        Tsuki-Yuki-Hana

Twitch the blind and peep at the moon
The big round moon like a piece of soap.
It washes the daytime out of your eyes
And fills them with night-time.

          Ivor Cutler
---