Sinister: One man's lazy is another man's relaxed...

Gardiner, Stuart Stuart.Gardiner at xxx.uk
Tue Mar 12 12:12:32 GMT 2002

Anyone looking for content (yes, there is a bit) may as well skip most of
this, because it's full of the usual crap I come out with, and head for the
last paragraph.

OK, so people don't like the past and present policies of the Australian
government. Well, you could say that about most countries, let's face it.
And at least Australia has produced good music over the last few years. At
which point, I'll mention David Bridie, just because it won't be what Big
Gay Mark is expecting.

Other good music comes, as ever, from Shakira. Yes, you did read that right.
In true "I saw them first" style, I've been listening to her old album Donde
Estan Los Ladrones for over a year now, and I still love it. Unfortunately,
her marketing people have persuaded her since then to start singing in
English, and have marketed her as a new pop princess, a new Ricky Martin.
Which is a great shame, because there's actually much more to her music than
that; she's been doing something very different to anyone else out there for
years now. And of course, because she'd been marketed as a pop artist,
people on this list and elsewhere instantly dismiss her without considering
the music. I even saw one normally reliable reviewer say that her music was
just "a standard mix of Latin and Arabian rythyms", which is odd, because
I've never heard anyone else mix those influences together in my life, so
it's not exactly standard. So, ignore the dancing, ignore the slightly dodgy
English translations of some of her lyrics, and give her a chance...

Meanwhile, the Magnificent Miss Madeleine was asking how to occupy your mind
whilst swimming. Personally, I normally have a tune in my head. And I sing
along. Which is all very well, unless it's a really good song, because then
I start to dance to it, which isn't such a good idea when you're standing on
3 metres of water.

Oh yeah, content. I have a spare ticket for the Manchester gig 3 weeks
today. Anyone want it? I won't charge £4.50 for postage... (priority goes to
anyone who fancies offering me a floor to sleep on for the night!)

Big Stu