Sinister: Because you're making brain-cakes fashionable

Michael Ashbridge MTJ.Ashbridge at xxx.uk
Tue Mar 12 15:25:27 GMT 2002

I have always thought that if I were to fall in love, it would be with a
writer.

I pictured an idyll where, as the evening gave way to night, she would read to
me the words she had crafted that day, still experimenting with the language
and glancing occasionally at my eyes for signs of reaction.

And I would hang on her every word, watching lips move to form the sounds,
struck dumb by her ability to put into words that which had existed for me only
as vague thoughts, malformed knowledge, the "yes, I've felt that, but I was
never able to see it with such clarity before" sensation.

I'm thinking about this because I listened last night to Paul Auster waxing
lyrical about his attitude to writing. He talked about the analogies between
writing and acting, about his motivations and influences, his own novels and
screenplays.

As it's my first post, here's the link to the content: it was Murdoch's writing
that first attracted me to Belle and Sebastian. The music came a close second.
I bought If You're Feeling Sinister on a complete whim one afternoon, not
knowing anything about them. And of course I'm not the only one to have
experienced the immediate sensation that I was being spoken to. Overwhelming.

I was always tangentially aware that there existed internet groups in their
orbit, but, being from Northern Ireland, I always considered myself too far
removed to benefit from participation. Also burnt-out on various BBS/forums et
cetera for a few years and unwilling to open up to more of the same.

This is a familiar sensation. Writing the first message to a new group. What to
say. How to present. Experience teaches: f-ck it. I'll announce my addiction.
My name is Michael, and I'm a bowlie.

Hugs 'n' all to the McDermott girl for her sweet mentionables and being cute. A
nod in the direction of Mr Chu for being other. Coy waves to the rest of you
for being.

+-+ Links +-+

- Listen to Radio 3's interview with Paul Auster (real player):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/speech/ram/anwauster.ram

- Read a review of Auster's latest novel, True Tales of American Life:
http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/politicsphilosophyandsociety/0,6121,615034,0
0.html