Sinister: Some b*stard keeps using my computer at night...

Michael Vance michael at xxx.com
Wed Mar 13 02:35:08 GMT 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 07:02:32PM -0500, Jenny Payne wrote:

> 	"the japanese have a word 'amae' which describes that warm feeling
> 	of being accepted, included and understood by a group of peers.
> 	so rare, so amazing when it happens.  sinister at its best moments
> 	can produce 'amae', i suspect."
>
> There are so many *good* things about the list... and I think Rachel was
> spot-on with her above description.

Not to be contrary, but that's not entirely what amae means. (I won't
attempt to butcher it myself.) It is however, a really fascinating
concept. I encourage everyone to go out and buy or borrow a copy of
Takeo Doi's "The Anatomy of Dependence", which is sort of the
classical work examining amae and its significance in Japanese social
psychology. It's good stuff, I got a copy for like $10 off of some
used book site.

m.

--
"she's my fave / undressing in the sun / return to sea -- bye
 forgetting everyone / eleven high / ride a wave"