Sinister: "please, i ask one thing of you, no russian jokes"

Matthew Henderson lokar20 at xxx.com
Wed Mar 13 09:44:28 GMT 2002

I found myself being told this sometime last night, leaving the 13th note to
go to a Russian cafe nearby.  As I was sitting all by my lonesome in "the
note" last night, I was drinking a pint and reading the free rental guide I
picked up at this lovely cafe.  A man sitting at a booth near me brought
over part of the independent so I could read something else, which I was
very grateful for, and went back to his booth.  I read some nice columns
about liberals and blah blah blah (is the independent a liberal paper by the
way?), and then he brought over the rest of the paper, and asked me if I
thought old dubya was scary.  I said "yes, very much so."  "ooh, you're
american" he says.  we talked for a bit, then I joined him at his booth,
where a girl was sitting who didn't know him either.  She was working on
questions to ask a band she had recorded for her uni project (according to
her, the same uni where our lovely belles were first recorded all those
years ago).  This guy was very interesting, if not a bit odd.  He would
bounce from topic to topic to topic, and I think the poor girl was a bit
confused by the whole thing.  Nice guy though, showing us poetry and talking
movies and brian eno.  She was an industrial fan and didn't know much about
other types of music.  She kind of scoffed when I said "um...belle and
sebastian" to her query of what music i like, although she had never
actually heard them.  The night progressed, and whilst me and the guy got
more inebriated, and the girl's band came along to do an interview, he asked
me if I wanted to go to the russian cafe.  This was a mistake.  I said
"sure".  As a bit of time went on, it was obvious this man was very very
drunk.  Moreso than me even.  He was annoying the poor Russian waitress to
death, causing scenes by trying to chat with the nice people at the next
table, and trying to get the poor Russian waitress to play one of his
aardvarck cd's over the speakers.  He's a  smart man, who oddly enough works
in insurance, but perhaps a little on the strange side.  Anyhow, as he began
to throw up, I realized it was about time to go.  After getting him into a
taxi (which took a bit of work), I began walking back to my hotel.  An odd
evening, probably not a smart one on my part, but ya know, I had fun.

Moving on, as I was walking down the street yesterday, I saw this little
kid, no older than eight, harassing, and even kicking, this poor crouched
homeless man.  I didn't hear what was going on, because I was listening to
my new and excellent Mum remix cd*.  I walked on, a bit disturbed, but
stopped.  I turned around and, not knowing what else to do, gave him 50p and
moved on.  I don't know the homeless man's story, and some people might rail
me for actually giving money to a homeless man, but I felt bad.  I wish
there was something else I could do.

I did love Rachel and Dimitra's dual post.  In my Ethics of Cyberpunk class,
my teacher and the whole class were going on and on about how dangerous and
creepy meeting people over the internet is.  I decided to interject an
opposing view on the matter by telling everyone part of Dimitra's story
(without using any names of course) and some seemed to decide that the
internet can be a pretty swell place after all.

And in somewhat more pressing news, I think a few of my clash cd's were
stolen.  Borders is having a dandy sale on cd's, and I know I'm going to get
the smiths "queen is dead" (mine is horribly scratched) and "louder than
bombs" (i only have it on vinyl), and I can get one more.  Should I get the
best of the divine comedy?  Or maybe try to replace my London Calling?
perhaps some van morrison?  Some decisions in life are just too difficult to
make.

I realize now that this isn't very interesting.  I probably just have tried
to inject humour or something, but what do you people know about humour?

-Matt

*I understand that remix albums are about as desperate as live albums when a
band wants to release something and get money without actually doing
anything new, but come on, mum just screams to be remixed.

P.S.  I surely hope this is better than my last post, but ya know what, I
don't think it is.