Sinister: ...and in second place...

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Fri Mar 15 14:09:51 GMT 2002

I bet on Rhinestone Cowboy to win and he came SECOND! Grrr! Carsmile, you'll
pay for this!

I've begun to take French lessons so yesterday I went into town to buy a
French-English Dictionary. When I got home I pulled open the pages excitedly
and began looking up stupid words like combine harvester*! Then I turned to
the French section to look up a word beginning with L. But L didn't exist!
The dictionary went straight from I to M; from page 144 to 177. Quelle
horreur! I was shocked, no, gutted! Le dictionaire, c'est bollocks!

Well, I've decided to write a letter of complaint about it to Collins, to
see if I can get some free books from them. I complained to Usborne books
when I was little about a code in the "Good Spy Guide to Codes and Ciphers"
which I spent a week trying to decipher before realising it was nonsense.
They sent back a letter of apology and a yellow balloon with a hole in it.

So here's my letter of complaint. It’s designed to make Collins feel guilty
and give me free things. Do you think I should send it?

Dear Mr Collins

I am 12 years old and have just begun French lessons at school. Our teacher
Miss Glum told us we must buy a French dictionary so we could look up words.
Today we had a lesson on how to use your dictionary and Miss Glum told me to
look up the word Jambon. When I looked in my dictionary I looked for J but
it wasn’t there. The dictionary went straight from I to M. There weren’t any
Js Ks or Ls (I DO know my alphabet). I told the teacher but she thought I
was making fun of her and made me see the headmaster. He made me stand by a
tree with a book on my head for half an hour. I almost cried then, but if I
did the book would have fallen off and he would have hit me. I cried when I
got home though. I don’t ever want to go to school again! I hate Miss Glum!
I hate you too and your stupid dictionary!

Robin (age 12)

PS: Jambon is Ham, by the way, my dad told me that tonight, but its too late
now, isn’t it???!!!

Do you think sending this letter would be BAD? I want to get as many free
things as I can but I don’t want any teachers being sacked. Hmm. Suggestions
would be welcome.

Robin (age 23)

*un moissoneuse-batteuse