Sinister: b&s setlists

Ian Watson ianwatson at xxx.uk
Sun Mar 17 14:46:28 GMT 2002

Mow asked about B&S setlists. "Will they play the same songs in every
concert of the tour or will every single show be different?"

My experience is that they do their best to make each show unique, but
whether that's still possible once you start playing tours with more than
four dates is another matter entirely. When they played Leeds, Nottingham
and London on the tour with Elliott Smith in support, the show in Leeds and
the show in Nottingham were completely different, there were no overlaps
whatsoever, and then the London show was like an amalgam of the Leeds and
Nottingham gigs. That meant that if you went to Leeds and then Nottingham
you got to hear about 30 plus B&S songs over the space of two nights.

They didn't, however, play Electronic Renaissance, at any of the gigs and
(in my opinion) rightly so, as The Field Mice still get weird shivers
whenever anyone plays it. I actually skip the track whenever I play
Tigermilk. So I wouldn't hold out much hope of them playing it when you see
them. I could be wrong, of course.

Anyway, when they did the last British tour, I saw them play Glasgow and
then the Albert Hall and the sets had a core of a certain group of songs
with others changed around and extra covers thrown in. Much like you'd
expect. The cabaret element that they had on that tour was the real changing
element. In Glasgow they had friends dressed as policemen who came onstage
to arrest Stuart for not paying his car tax (or something like that) halfway
through a song and in London they had two friends (the same ones?) who
pretended to be Waldorf and Stadtler (or however you spell them), the two
old guys from the Muppets who heckled the band.

So the answer to your question is, every show will be different. I've seen
them about a dozen times now and each gig has been different, varying either
in set or quality (the early London gigs - oh dear) or atmosphere but I have
a great, distinct memory from each one. I think seeing them play "What Goes
On" in that synagogue/church place in New York just after Diana died was one
of the best. Brixton should be great. Mostly because it's ten minutes walk
from my flat.

Well, if anyone ever asks "what's been the most boring post ever on
Sinister?" you can say "oh, that long rambling one about the intricacies of
their set list". I've even sent myself to sleep.

The new Mum album is amazing, by the way.

Ian