Sinister: The Twee Garage Revolution

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Mon Mar 18 18:46:49 GMT 2002

Hello sinister.

I’ve decided that instead of being a Lazy Poster, which I was previously,
I’m now going to be an Active Lurker, not that it matters much. I’m glad I
cleared it up though.

Now onto far more pressing matters. I was watching Top Of The Pops on
Friday. It’s not a regular thing for me – I just happened to be flicking
around the channels. Mo’ Fire Crew performed some UK Garage tosh, but it was
really quite enchanting, because although they’re all probably hard as fuck,
drive Audi TTs and rap about Bolly (I think that’s what they were talking
about but they’ll never get anywhere if they don’t *annunciate*), they were
wearing Sylvester & Tweetie-Pie sweaters and hats, and spent the entire song
clutching their nuts. This amused me greatly. Indeed, as another member of
this parish remarked to me yesterday, viva the Twee Garage revolution –
stand by for a So Solid remix of Shoot The Sexual Athlete. If they don’t do
it, I will. You think I’m joking…

Indeed, quite apart from Sinister people remarking to me about Twee Garage,
yesterday was spent in quite a Sinister mode (how’s that for a segue?). The
afternoon was passed at my first Sinister Fitba match, and splendid fun it
was too. Deft skills were demonstrated by six listees (or ex-listees – I’m
not sure), and I turned up too. It was a hard fought game, and I can say
very proudly that the other team won because during the
“next-goal-wins-because-all-of-a-sudden-it’s-pissing-it-down-and-I-could-really-murder-a-pint”
stage of the game I managed to score an own goal in quite spectacular
fashion OFF MY ARSE.

Anyway, enough content. Irritatingly, I’ve discovered that the new Travis
song is rather good. Peculiarly, it has all the ingredients of any normal
Travis song – non-sensical/repetitive lyrics, really naff rhyming and more
Byrds-pastiche than you can shake a Aphex Twin record at, but despite all
this it’s quite wonderful. I’m slipping, I tell you, I’m slipping – next
I’ll be saying that the new Oasis song is good.

Irritatingly, the new Oasis song isn’t too repellent either. Mind you then
again, I’ve always held a torch that Oasis will one day come good again, and
this might just be the time…

Enough, I tell you, enough.

Love

Asm.x