Sinister: OI! we're that more fire crew! (birmingham picnics and the lack thereof)

ian dimensionflip at xxx.uk
Sun Mar 24 22:11:47 GMT 2002

right, as the buddha once said, 'i'm gonna talk fast and not fuck around'
that is, i'm not going to waffle in this one
that is, i'm going to be brisk and business-like, and not get caught up in
any ian-post-meanderings as so often happens.
i'm just going to say what i've got to say, and go
no farty hypothesising about life
no quoting saint etienne

rain falls like elvis tears
existence is a funny thing, innit?

oh, bugger!

so... birmingham - to picnic or not to picnic?  i get the impression that a
lot of people won't be able to make this weekend.  partly because i've left
it so late and its very short notice, and partly because i've left it so
late and its very short notice.
i'm sorry.  i think a re-schedule might be in order.  if you're prepared to
trust me again.  hopefully next time (may??) i won't have a combination of
bleurrghghgh-lurgy and a temparamental isp to contend with, and will get my
arse in gear in enough time.
forgive me, oh west midlands types.

i shall now attempt to draw a veil over my ineptitude and move on to other
things:

sam walton said:

>I was watching Top Of The Pops on
>Friday. Mo’ Fire Crew performed some UK Garage tosh, but it was >
>really quite enchanting, they were wearing Sylvester & Tweetie-Pie sweaters
and >hats, and spent the entire song clutching their nuts. This amused me
greatly. Indeed, >as another member of this parish remarked to me yesterday,
viva the Twee Garage >revolution –

i saw this lot's video the other day, and regret to report that schmindie
hip-hop (schmip-mop?) may still be some way off.  they look VERY angry and
shouty on film.  perhaps they were simply scared of the totp audience.  i
can only surmise that the front row was full of vicious hamsters that looked
like the only thing on their minds was nibbling the nuts of a uk garage
star.
perhaps, on the other hand, they simply can't perform live.
having said that, shouting 'OH NO, ITS THAT MORE FIRE CREW'  is an EXCELLENT
way of confusing people.  so they deserve some credit for that.

toy stephen talked of mis-hearings.  in a similar vein, it was only
yesterday that the true awfulness of the P!O!P! I!D!O!L! song revealed
itself to me.  (for those outside the uk, pop idol was a programme where
lots of people competed to be famous and rich, and some of them managed it -
mostly the judges, the hosts of the show and the record company managers.)
you see, i've been labouring under the misapprehension that the opening line
of 'evergreen' was:
'i like the sunrise'

fair enough.  i like the sunrise too.  a bit trite, perhaps.  i quite like
ice-cream but wouldn't consider that a suitable lyric for opening a song
with.
yesterday, it became clear that mr young is infact singing
'eyes like a sunrise'

now, much as i like sunrises - i could look at them all day - i think this
wins an ian award for the STUPIDEST lyric of the year so far.  eyes like a
sunrise?  well, correct me if i'm wrong, but sunrises are red, yellow,
orange, a whole combination of beautiful warm colours but NOT the sort of
colours you'd want your eyes to be.  plus, they wouldn't even be one colour,
they'd be a whole assortment of colours, and towards the bottom they'd flood
out into a long red line.

  eyes like a sunrise?  what a load of knobend.  eyes like a fucking
sanitary towel would be a better lyric than THAT.  a good job the next line,
'arse like a double-decker bus' was re-written.

london... may 3rd... are we meeting before the gig?  are we drinking
somewhere?  i won't offer to organise anything, you'd only laugh.

i should go.  i said i'd be brief, and i've already been long, john.  on a
final note:

matthew henderson said:

>And remember, Don't let your chicken fingers be made by the hands of
>oppression.

which is, frankly, the most sensible thing i've heard all year.

raise yer skinny chicken fingers to heaven, brothers and sisters, let's be
free!!

tara people
ian