Sinister: you say you want a revolution...*

Aruni J beiaardhorse at xxx.com
Tue Mar 26 01:19:09 GMT 2002

All this talk about Mao has made me deeply nostalgic...for my days as a high
school math team nerd. What? Don't look so smug, you were there, too,
weren't you? Weren't you?

<sound of crickets chirping chirpily>

Yes, well, ahem. <point of order> I'm not insulting sinister, or Mao, or
math team nerds, for that matter. I was one of them (see above). </end point
of order> Maybe it speaks to the deep cosmic connection between
sinisterinos. Or something. Who knows--perhaps in a few years we can
graduate to playing Mafia. :^)

Lately the theme of deep cosmic connections underlying shared musical taste
has been playing in my head. (groan for the puns) Several of my best friends
are B&S fans, and we all "discovered" B&S independently. Not the most
shocking of coincidences, perhaps, but I'd like to think that it means
something. Maybe it's an appreciation of beauty and whimsy that I seek out
in my friends, or an understanding of how things build, or a willingness to
listen carefully and appreciate all the layers that make up a whole.

Then again, perhaps it's more a function of B&S playing fantastic music than
of cosmic connections, but I prefer to have my head in the clouds.

More immediately, as it turns out, being in med school does not suck all the
B&S from one's life. For instance, we recently had several lectures on
fungal infections, and I was thinking about "a dose of thrush you got while
you were licking railings." Except Stuart forgot the part about how "you
compromised the integrity of your mucosal epithelium." Ah well.

It occurred to me that next year, I will get to deliver a baby! (Caution to
all of those expecting babies within the next year and a half--stay out of
Durham, NC and the surrounding area.) I had a cozy mental picture of me
holding a newborn and singing sweet B&S tunes to him or her. Then I thought
about how odd it would seem to the parents that the person who had delivered
their child was singing, "Get me away from here, I'm dying"--no matter how
lovely and melodic. And so endeth another promising career.

*"that sounds like rock and/or roll,"
Aruni