Sinister: Wolstenholme, Milligan and Moore R.I.P.

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Sat Mar 30 20:41:09 GMT 2002

The Queen Mum just died. "Just" as in "recently", not "just" as in "simply".
She died this afternoon at quarter past three, and now, five hours later,
every broadcasting station across the land has changed its schedules to run
obituaries for the poor girl, or just to play "more suitable" music.

My mother commented "They've even shifted Blind Date! Bloody hell - I hope
it's not going to be like Diana again", and with that, without realising it,
probably made the most poignant piece of social commentary of the day. I'm
not writing this post to say that the mourning of a dead person for whome
lots of people care is a Bad Thing, I'm just saddened that people are making
such a huge fuss over *this* death. Over the last 6 weeks, three famous-ish
people died, making little more ripple in the cultural water than a column
on page 17 in The Sun. This trio was Spike Milligan, Dudley Moore and
Kenneth Wolstenholme (the commentator responsible for "They think it's all
over... it is now!"). I would argue really quite strongly that these three
men did more in their time on the planet for Britain's national cultural
heritage than the Queen Mum ever did, but because they weren't born with a
silver spoon in their mouths, their scant obituaries will become tomorrow's
chips wrapper.

Don't worry though, I'm not going to embark on an anti-royalist diatribe. I
recognise that the Queen Mum's death is also a symbolic one - to a lot of
people she was the last standing bastion of the Establishment, of the Royal
Family as it *was*. So with her gone, we're now left with Princesses who
write poor chilren's books for tax right-off reasons and Princes who do
dodgy dealings with TV companies. And Prince Philip. Also, there's something
really quite admirable to having a life which lasts for 101 years. I'd be
proud it.

I'm simply posting because as the schedules change from Stars In Their Eyes
to The Life & Times Of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, and from the White
Stripes to Morcheeba, it makes me feel a bit sad. Sad because somebody died,
but also because a death like this simply serves to accentuate what a shame
it is that people who made something of *themselves* are forgotton for
someone who was always destined from birth to have a "celebrated" life.

love,

Asm.x

     "He's strictly a pain in the ass, but
      he certainly has a good vocabulary"