Sinister: Austin B&S show report

Mandy Spain glamtart at xxx.net
Wed May 1 12:58:28 BST 2002

Hello!

So, last night I saw a little band called Belle and Sebastian.  Here is what
they played:

Sleep the Clock Around
Dirty Dream #2
Waking Up to Us
Seeing Other People
Wandering Alone
If You're Feeling Sinister
My Wandering Days Are Over
Seymour Stein
The Model
Texarkana Baby (cover)
Me and the Major
The Boy with the Arab Strap
Fox in the Snow
The State That I'm In
Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying
There's Too Much Love
The Wrong Girl
The Lonliness of a Middle Distance Runner
Legal Man
So You Want to Be a Rock N Roll Star (cover)

The show was amazing.  I had never seen B&S before, and they exceeded all of
my expectations, which were rather high to begin with.  Stuart was an
excellent frontman - he was happy, talkative, and funny.  He did a lot of
dancing and bouncing about.  There was a lot of banter onstage amongst the
band as well as with the audience.  Stuart invited an audience member to
speak the "In a town so small..." part from "Dirty Dream #2" - probably
because Isobel wasn't there.  He also invited two people onstage to dance
(one was the same guy as the I mentioned above).  There was much wearing of
cowboy hats by the band and the string section, and talk of Texas, heat, and
skinnydipping (apparently Mick had done a little of that the night before).
The band sounded good and were plenty loud, at least up at the front.  My
friends and I were about six or eight feet from the stage, and the crowd
were polite and not pushy - always a plus!!  Afterwards, we tried to get a
setlist and were unsuccessful, though my friend Victor managed to snag
Stuart's towel.  Anyway, I took a whole roll of film, and I hope the
pictures come out.  All in all, it was one of the best (if not the best)
shows I've ever attended!!!

OK must stop gushing and go to work.

Love,
Mandy