Sinister: what are you doing with my fingers

paisley pants snyggtwee at xxx.com
Thu May 2 03:13:55 BST 2002

Lazy Line Painter David wrote a question and I'm hoping that my hand will go
up first!

>Doesn't it ever rain in Austin? And does anyone know what's the deal >with
>Isobel on this tour? Is she ill?

Struan explained Isobel's absence by telling us that the tour schedule was
hard on her, and she was resting up by skipping some dates. I was sorry not
to get to see her. At first I wondered if Sarah was her, but she was smiling
far too much, the cutie. B&S did get a moody cellist to replace Isobel
though, who was very pretty in a tattered white dress and stylish blonde
hair. She wandered off to sulk periodically, hee.

Texas weather does whatever it pleases, but lately it's been busy getting
hot. Enough rain, time for the flowers to bloom. It's Beltane today, kids,
did you remember? Happy Beltane! I went camping with my Pagan Student
Alliance friends (our official university organization, yes, we're
registered and have elections and hold meetings and all that) to celebrate
the season as it arrived. People from all across the state (and some even
further away) gathered together on a woodsy piece of land owned by a pagan
organization.

Well, I came in the trunk because there was no room in the car. We were
arriving a bit late to the campsite because I'd had to attend class. So I
missed the crowning of the May King and Queen, as well as the Maypole. But I
was laying there in the trunk, and it was like a spaceship with the
taillights blinking, and then the trunk opened up and I was in the woods.

The atmosphere was families, fires burning, workshops, green meditation
groves, and lots of smiling. It was also clothing optional, so after three
days some people had sunburn troubles, despite the copious amounts of
sunscreen. If freckles are kisses, is sunburn like a big ole hickey? Too
fierce! Now we all know where you've been.

My ride to the B&S concert is a self-described "indie snob." He was very
annoyed when a girl at the concert asked him about his Pedro the Lion shirt.
She hadn't heard of them, the blasphemous heathen. He wore his black frames
glasses specially to the show, the ones without a prescription because his
eyesight is 20/20.

One of my friends was camping with her family, so I went to meet her family.
A handshakes just doesn't do for a pagan camp-out. As her bare breasted
mother gave me a warm embrace, I thought about how people usually think of
nudism as uncomfortably sexual.

Women keeping their tits tucked away, flirtatiously popping out, or ashamed
when they discover a button has accidentally come undone. Men walking as
though they have a concealed weapon, hitching their clandestine pride as
though it were a weighty theorem shifting in their jeans, or a subtle threat
that might cause social humilation.

Well, there's push-up bras and thongs, packing and binding. And then there's
public showers. I was somewhat disappointed to see that nobody else had
scars quite like mine, so I sudsed my face and hair first. By the time I got
all the soap away from my eyes, everyone who'd wanted to have a look had
politely finished it and merely wanted to borrow some of my shampoo.

My ride couldn't believe that there was guy at the show wearing a baseball
cap backwards on his head. "Baseball is an indie rock sport, at least. But
BACKWARDS at a Belle and Sebastian show?!?" Football is not an indie rock
sport, by the way. Golf is tolerable. My ride was undecided about whether or
not Struan's soccer ball was appropriate.
Pretty complicated to rule the school, ah scenesters. Speaking of
football/soccer, when Mike Streets talks about "geezers," is he actually
talk about old people, or is this Brit slang for "guys"?

I kept myself covered up during the camp-out, until the last night. My
friends crept back to our tents after the main ritual (which was Discordian
and hilariously apt for a fertility festival). They were burnt to a crisp
and thus needing rest. Because it was dark, my skin's marks weren't visible.
In the woods, away from the city lights, the sky was so black you could see
the stars and a huge halo around the moon. I changed into shorts and an
undershirt. It was dawn when I finally left the fire dancers' camp, where
they spun fire in the air and fought with flames, and one of them asked me
for a kiss before I left. I was wondering he'd still have wanted that kiss
if he'd seen my arms and legs in the clear honest light. I wonder why it was
okay for those strangers in the shower to see me completely, but I wouldn't
let my own friends see me in my shorts. Sometimes I think I am a born liar,
but it's nice to meet people you'll never meet again.

After the concert, I would have liked to have met the band, as charming and
friendly and ordinary as they seemed to be. But my ride though we should
follow the car with the Mogwai bumper sticker. To see what cool place they
would be headed for. (Fredricksburg.)

It's all good. DECEPTIVELY GOOD.

You're nakey right now, aren't you?