Sinister: Question and Answer (with Pen and Notebook)

Caitlin Pigtails wpsalt at xxx.com
Thu May 2 18:18:57 BST 2002

A long long time ago -- about six months, to be precise -- the lovely
Amy Longcore sent a questionnaire to Sinister.  She promised to compile
all the replies she received and put them up on a web page somewhere.
However, it didn't quite go to plan, and all the answers were sadly
destroyed in a bizarre accident involving a combine harvester and a
bucket of prunes.

Because Amy is such a lovely person -- even if she does phone people up
when they're not expecting it -- I promised her that I'd redo the whole
thing myself.  So, I have.  It is -- like Amy's original -- "a sort of
fun, get-to-know-ya silly thing".  I'll compile all the answers and
either email them out or put them all up on the web somewhere
(whatever's easiest).  Please, please, if you want to join in, send
your answers directly to me and *don't* post them to the list.  The
questions (which aren't exactly the same ones that Amy posted) are at
the end of this post.

I seem to be having a lot of strange dreams lately.  Not exactly *bad*
dreams, just vivid.  Maybe I shouldn't try and sleep and listen to
Radio 4 at the same time.  Only last night, I was trying to escape from
an archaeology field trip when I ran into two Roman men who had
accidentally discovered some kind of magic spell which causes time
travel.  After lots of chasing round and running through London
Underground tunnels (which was a bit odd, because the dream started off
in East Lothian, and I didn't know the Central line went that far out)
I managed to catch up with them -- along with a lot of other people --
and we were all chanting the spell to take us back to the 1st century
when I woke up.  All morning, I kept thinking:  but how would I have
coped in Roman times? I don't speak Latin.  And how come they learned
English so quickly when they got here?  The night before I was at a
town planning conference in a big hotel, which turned into a bit of a
nightmare when I found that me and my friends were all trapped!
trapped! and the conference attendees were going to use as as
guinea-pigs for some bizarre time-dilation experiments.  I'm not sure
why there's a time-travel pattern here.  That dream never really
reached a decent conclusion, although I did discover a way to make my
mobile phone alter the structure of reality itself.  Which was nice.

I've started getting SMS spam, incidentally.  It makes me want to
shout.  One ... two ... three ... YOU BASTARDS!

The Austin gig sounds like it was fun, although I wouldn't fancy an
outdoor gig in Scotland.  They don't do encores very often, but they do
sometimes.  I could be wrong, but I think the first gig at which they
did do one was the second Glasgow gig last summer.  The feeling in the
audience at the time was "if you don't do an encore, we're not going
home".  Incidentally, I was intrigued by Paisley going off to make
fireworks with a nice young man.  We all want to know: how cute is he?

Incidentally: am I using the word 'incidentally' too much?

I've decided to make a CD for a friend of mine's wedding.  On the
invite, she asked everyone to suggest a song to be played at the
reception.  I couldn't think of one specific song I wanted played, and
I didn't want to cart any of my own CDs over to Paris for the event, so
I decided to make her a CD and send it before the wedding, so she can
pick a song or two she likes off it.  I'm trying to make sure that she
has never heard of any of the bands on it, but as she's a classical
music fan that shouldn't be too hard.  Lots of B&S, obviously.  I'm
having a bit of trouble finding nice upbeat
good-danceable-to-for-a-wedding-reception songs for it, though.

And *then*, I'm going to write a nice little inlay booklet about how
pop music saved the world from alien invasion, so sheep could graze
peacefully (and disco-dance) once more.  She'll like that.

Anyway.  The questionnaire.

1.  What's your name and where do you come from?

2.  What name(s) do you use on Sinister/#sinister?

3.  How long have you been on Sinister?

4.  How old are you?

5.  Describe your first snog.  Oh, go on.

6.  What was the first novel you read that really made you all excited
about life and stuff?

7.  What's your favourite board or card game?

8.  Vowel or Consonant?

9.  First movie that made you cry.  I know you have, just admit it.

10. First B&S song you heard that made you realise you'd never go back?

11. Best concert/show/gig/whatever?

12. How far would you have to stretch your arms to show just how much
you adore Princess Honey?

13. What artists do you admire?  Which do we deserve to know more about?

14. Got any siblings?

15. Ever genuinely had an internet crush?

16. Ever had a crush on someone you shouldn't have?

17. On someone a lot lot older or younger than you?

18. Ever been embarrassed by something you've posted on Sinister?

19. ... or something someone else has posted on Sinister?

20. Worst 70s song?  80s song?  90s song?

21. Worst 80s snog?  90s snog?

22. Most overrated band?

23. Got any pets?

24. Who from Sinister would you most like to meet (but haven't)?

25. Which B&S song gets in your head the most?  Which other song?

26. Ever been in a car crash?

27. Who did you blame for it?

28. Worst job you've ever had?

29. Ever been in unrequited love?

30. Write a poem!  now!  Yes, here!

And finally:  have you ever done it?  (NB: this was what Amy said.
obviously, *I* don't know how you should interpret it ;-)  Maybe this
one should be an essay question.)

love
xx
caitlin