Sinister: Please Advise, help me keep my dignity, go on I'll be forever gratefull.

Chris Leak chris_s_leak at xxx.com
Sun May 5 10:46:09 BST 2002

Hi

Probably blatant list abuse but I am in need, so forgive me. After a long
period off the list and an equally long period of lurking about I find
myself in a predicament I don't know how to handle. After four years
together my girlfriend has ended our relationship. To those of you guiding
your pointer to delete with some gusto, I fully understand. To those of you
who make it through my brief and embarrassing whine and can offer any words
of encouragement, I thank you wholeheartedly.

Please understand I have even resorted to emailing the Samaritans.
Unfortunately, calling them would be at odds with my shyness. Besides my
ability to vocalize these things in person to a stranger, whilst slowly
deter orating into some kind of inconsolable and sobbing thing, would not be
a pleasing site in anyone's book.

I'll try and wind things up quickly now. The thing that concerns me more
than anything is how to switch off how I feel about someone who I thought
was for good and who no longer feels the same way. How the fuck does that
work? As a person who has always been too easily influenced by what she
absorbs from books and film, a closet Kate Bush fan and as someone whose new
favorite film is Amelie, I should have seen it coming. Whilst she has done a
good job of convincing me she doesn't seem to have done as good a job on
herself. Her whole new "I'm 29* now, babies, things I want to do, free
spirit etc etc" (I honestly don't mean to sound belittling. * I'm 27)
attitude all seems a bit forced, contrived and at odds with itself. She has
and always will be very stubborn and this whole thing seems like a textbook
case of cutting your nose off to spite your face. Then again this could just
be a big fat denial induced supposition on my part?

The second thing that I am struggling with (and it's still a biggie) is
simply the fact that she was my best friend. Of my circle of friends I have
only one who would even consider going to the same kind of gigs or places,
who would tolerate the same kind of music and film and who has any interest
in the arts. Who do I do these things with now? Doing them alone doesn't
hold great appeal. I'll also miss being a part of her glass design business,
which is beginning to take off, I enjoyed helping. The place I live, near
Preston (Lancashire), England isn't exactly awash with masses of like-minded
people. Bugger.

Right, I'll start winding this thing up now; if you're still with me then I
sincerely appreciate it. In a truly responsible fashion, I have been on a
weeklong experimentation with alcohol tolerance. My conclusion is undecided.
I can't establish whether I am having some kind of dickie fit/break down
type thing or permanently hung over. Whilst such behavior cannot go on
indefinitely, it keeps me going until my doctor's appointment on Wednesday.

Like I say, to those of you are still here without having suffered some kind
of wince induced facial injury, thanks again. Whilst this has been a pretty
healthy and cathartic exercise (sorry if that appears selfish), all I am
hankering after are a few words of encouragement and advice. Before
don't bother, I've heard them all from some of my caring friends.

Hope to hear something back.

Cheers

LEaky