Sinister: expectations confirmed

Bron elf-angel at xxx.com
Tue May 7 16:54:04 BST 2002

the dishes overwhelm the sink from last night's
cooking endeavor, his mostly drunk second glass
of wine rests beside this computer screen, the
map of the this weekend's backpacking trail and
a bike reflector we found in the next city, his
smiling photos, my book on zen lying on the
floor last read by his bright brown eyes---those
eyes that reached down into the pools of my blue
soul, the rain song that shall forever dance in
my head and remind me of the fire we built and
the hammock we laid in, the sun-crackled
mornings and the river that i gathered water
 from to bathe my bare body in the natural world
we all came from, the rich dirt under my nails
and the sweet scrapes of all that's imperfectly
beautiful.

my weekend ended this morning.  he drove away
out into this gleamed-up day.  i almost wanted
to cry, but it would have been out of habit for
whenever anybody leaves.  you're supposed to
cry.  but really i all i could do was smile.
he's goin out west, he's goin to montana, he's
gonna live his life, i took my shower, all i
could do was smile.  he's got his life, where is
mine?  i dunno.  but i'll smile, i'll grin till
the cows come home cuz my turn is just around
the bend, and by golly damn, i'll live.
patience is a virtue, and i'm feelin mighty
virtuous.  the brown-eyed boy reinforced that
well-known fact to me quite indirectly...i don't
even know if he knows he did.  but the sun is up
and out, i'll clean all those dishes, i'll wash
my cave-muddied khakis, i'm gonna ramble on, i'm
gonna sing my song.

i gave him a multi-vitamin.  he gave me a kiss.

it's tuesday morning and i know i've gotta go to
school.  but these expectations have been met,
these expectations have been exceeded.

breathe.
---your mountain mama sweetheart   X

"The differences between what you hope