Sinister: Isobel-less-ness

sgazzetti s_gazzetti at xxx.ar
Mon May 6 22:13:34 BST 2002

Here now:
There has been a recent spate of discussion on The
List (“don’t talk about The List on The List”) about
the presence/absence of a certain Miss Isobel Campbell
at gigs in the United States. I am pretty sure that I
bitched or at least reported in detail about her
pouty-ness at the Rímini gig, and as one lister
(sorry, tried to cite you, but ‘search’ is down)
recently pointed out, she is not 'the band', but she
is an integral part of it, and not unpleasant to look
at besides, so I can understand why some people have
felt shorted if her presence has been lacking at
certain shows. (The half-price idea put forth by
someone (sorry again, it’s that ‘search’) is
intriguing, but doomed to failure and ultimately
unworkable and Just Not Right). Let’s
remember--Isobel’s retiring nature has been, at least
as reported anecdotally, an impediment to the band’s
touring on a large scale, and now THEY ARE DOING IT
ANYWAY. So if Isobel bows out now and then, due to
discomfort/fatigue/shacking up with Dean/discomfort
AND fatigue produced by shacking up with Dean, then
just be thankful that the band are coming to a venue
near/within a ridiculously long drive/flight from you,
at all. And for those of you who would still complain
about her lackadaisical delivery, go now and put on
“Women’s Realm” and listen to this part of hers:

“Just a minute, close your eyes,
If we settle for this compromise
” Etc.

Do it. Now. You’ll forgive her, whether you saw her
and her great bloody cello or not. She’s not ‘the
band’, any more than Stuart David was ‘the band’, but
she’s important. Sure, her absence is a bite in the
pants, but her presence doesn’t make a gig any more
than her absence breaks it. She is just not a
‘showperson’, while Stuart and Stevie and (maybe) a
few others (and damn near all of us, apparently) are,
and so if she needs to have a lie-down while you rave
out to a closing “Legal Man” psychedelia, well, let
her be her. That’s all.

Go put on “Women’s Realm” now. I wasn’t kidding. And
love the whole band, whether they all can make it or
not. We love the musicians, we love the band as a
whole. We just love it. Enjoy it while it lasts, ‘Bel
or no ‘Bel.

By the way, I’ve got no tickets to sell.

JDS

Conectate a Internet GRATIS con Yahoo! Conexión:
http://conexion.yahoo.com.ar