Sinister: geometries and orchids that the sunset builds

StIdesMoon at xxx.com StIdesMoon at xxx.com
Tue May 7 05:56:31 BST 2002

The planets line up, single file, like school kids on field trips. I'll
uncloak myself, delurk. Hmm, something's awry.

No, something's beautiful. Belle & Sebastian in Philadelphia. The Tower
Theatre--with its cheesy science fiction planet panels and jukebox coloring
amongst the aging, dusty grandeur of the old, converted moviehouse. Pictures
playing in my head--now--of Stuart bouncing around, half-naked little flirt,
the brilliant boxer boy in this scene. The brilliant architect of blissful
poetry for the remainder of the flickering night.

He said they were in Philly for three days. Ah, if only we had known! (Well,
then what??)  Stinky Pete's, eh?
As aforementioned, Isobel went unaccounted for... although Ms.
replacement-from-Rasputina did a lovely job on cello. Understandably, it's
just not the same. Stevie was adorable. Sarah too. And so on and so on and
scooby dooby doo. Yeah.

We all know what extra fine musicians they all are, whether its the band
alone or embellished with string section (etc.). However, I think it took the
live setting to finally appreciate, fully, what absolutely solid musicians
they are. Little indie rock band does theme from "Rocky" and... erm, terribly
famous bebopping, brushstroking jazz number, the title of which is
embarrassingly eluding me.... Ahhh, byooteefull.

Too much rudeness from various audience dampened the mood here and there. But
those were anomalies. All else shimmered... sparkly... glittery. Whee.

The new songs are divine. The mix of old favorites put me on a sustained
sugar high. Nearly overdosed, dammit. How nice! So many invitations to get up
and dance like a tree shaking off its apples and leaves. "Judy" and "Seymour
Stein" and "The Boy With The Arab Strap" and "String Bean Jean" and "Dirty
Dream #2" and "Legal Man" and (slower but still effervescent) "Fox In The
Snow" and "I Fought In A War" and! and! and! (she chirps, chirps, chirps).
"Me and the Major" as an encore sent me soaring through the roof, right into
the atmosphere. Ain't never gonna come down, I tell you.

And yet....
Now I'm moping about as though I was a teenager again. The show's over. Back
to my records and such. Flash. Moment gone. Beep. Game over.

Well, I have a shirt (dare I say, a twee one indeed?) to remember it by. Free
tees and badgies were handed out during the jazz "intermission"--lucky punks,
you who received them! They were in abundance. But I bought myself a bus
shirt before the show and did not get greedy, despite the temptation of
possibly, maybe, perhaps getting a tee handed to me by Struan himself.

...sigh...
I *thought* I had also recorded the show, so my friends and I could properly
relive our valhalla experience over and over afterward. But wouldn't you
know? The *one* time I receive a defective cassette it's for B&S. Why
couldn't that happen whilst recording This American Life on the radio? At
least you can buy those if you miss the broadcasts! All I have salvaged of
the Tower performance is the second tape--the good one, the one that didn't
betray me or devastate me or rain on my parade, lalala. A handful of final
songs from the main set plus the encore. It's something, 'tis true. I sound
so whiney and pathetic right now, 'tis also true. Still, all the work of
sneaking my recorder into the theatre, past the mulleted ticket-taker,
avoiding the flashlights of ushers... all for naught. Or near naught. Surely,
some other fan must've smuggled in their own recording goods that night...
but finding him or her is a leap in the dark.

Boohoo, I know. Those of you who didn't get a chance to see them probably
long to kick me right now. But your time will come too. This was my first
time seeing our blessed lovely band upon which we cast our endearment. It
seemed to take forever to come.

And I eagerly await the next time they grace our ears... and our eyes (yum!)

peace and purrs,
Almeh

p.s. The Aisler's Set were adorable and potently poppy too. Sadly, they
suffered from a poor sound mix, which also plagued B&S occasionally. Who was
that awful soundperson minding the board??