Sinister: New York, Monday

Richard Gassan gassan at xxx.edu
Tue May 7 16:33:11 BST 2002

Hello --

I'll leave it to others to give a more coherent report, relying instead on
impressionistic description.

The Hammerstein's cherubs looked down on the flat pan of concrete as a
small cluster of hard-core fans sat just ten minutes before show time. I
joined them, awarding myself the prize for the Oldest-Looking Fan (I'm a
relatively ancient 44, balding hair shot with grey), as I sat on the skanky
floor with my friend Tom. Both of us had drive down from Amherst after
experiencing the band in Boston on Saturday.

The opening act, Interpol, caused me to flash back to the early 1980s - the
bassist's Flock of Seagulls haircut gave me a start - but they turned in a
solid performance with a wall of noise and steady rhythms. Their sound was
remarkably Joy Division-esque, but none of them appeared to be seeking
suicide quite yet (maybe when they're famous). A nice opening act. The
folks around me bopped a bit, but the relative press of bodies prevented
any real dancing. I ended up front and very close to the rail (and I
apologize to anyone whose vision I blocked: I am tall and solidly built.)

After a pretty short interval, we were rewarded as They came. I felt that
they were faintly more tired than Boston, but still game and enthusiastic,
and their set, which differed markedly from the previous night's, was
wonderful: they played songs I've not heard them play recently, including
String Bean Jean and Me & The Major, among others. Stuart was having fun
with us, like usual.

One highlight was when Marisa, of this list, was pulled onstage. (I'd met
her at the pub in Boston before the show.) She had been standing front row
center - I guess she spent the preceding 24 hours there :) - and apparently
was recognized by Stuart from late nights in Boston. She delivered the
Dirty Dream #2 lines with remarkable professionalism and danced like a pro.

The local talent pulled from the audience turned out to be able only to do
B&S songs, and consequently that segment didn't materialize. Given my
long-term brain damage and years of listening to B&S turned up to 11, I
have entirely forgotten the song Stuart sung in its place.

Isobel actually got happy at one point, a striking change, laughing with
Sarah and enjoying herself. But then she returned to her Nico-esque form
(enhanced by her dress, a nice Dylan-1964-Don't Look Back print that's the
same one (if memory is correct) in the pictures from the Black Sessions.
About halfway through, she pulled on a long, black-and-flowered print
1960s-influence raincoat, very fetching indeed.  However, once that brief
period of personality was over, she returned to being either bored, shy, or
pouting, depending on your interpretation or level of charity.

One of the things, by the way, that's become clear to me having finally
seen them in person is the central role that Stevie plays. That's something
that's hard to get from just their albums, but it's clear that he, as much
as Stuart, is a driving force for the band. But more than that, I also
could see that this band, despite the pressures pushing Stuart to the
front, works hard to give everyone an equal role, and I find that
admirable. There are enough egos in music.

Anyhow. Another solid performance and a great, great show, well worth it.

Cheers,

Richard.